2018 trends for professionals that are NOT SPORTY

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips 2018 trends for professionals that are NOT SPORTY

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mashimero 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Nana

I’m not trying to talk anyone else out of athleisure. It’s a look and it works and looks cute for many people. I myself experimented with sneakers outside of the gym as a teen before realizing it was just not going to happen for me.

I’m struggling to look “2018” while still following my very classic personal lifelong style rules (sneakers are only for the gym, leggings are not work appropriate, to be honest, I’ve always felt uncomfortably casual in public in blue jeans….)

I am aware that I should embrace yoga pants, big sweaters, and chubby white sneakers right now, but it’s honestly like someone told me I have to embrace shaving my eyebrows to be trendy. Not. Happening. Ever.

In my 20’s, I took style inspiration from my grandmother’s era. The extra polish made me feel feminine yet authoritative and very very adult. I always imagined growing increasingly sophisticated with age. I never imagined I’d turn 30 and be expected to dress out for gym class at work.

Any tips for super current 2018 looks that are 0% sporty spice? I honestly cannot wear anything one might wear to a gym class, ever.

mashimero

It depends where you work? I don’t think most people in office jobs, for example, would be wearing athleisure to work. If you’re in a dressy office and wear suits/blazers, a more modern take is the oversized blazer. Or update your accessories maybe, instead of your clothes.

amarilee

Where do you work as a 30-something where you feel pressured to look sporty? I work in research at a university and there is literally no dress code as long you are safety compliant.

I wear things that I like, are feminine, and flatter my figure:
    – snug cashmere turtlenecks tucked into miniskirts with opaque tights and ankle booties
    – knee-length dresses with cardigans
    – slim fitting dark jeans with ankle boots, flats, or knee-high boots and a sweater or blouse (or sweater over a blouse!)
    – looser black jeans cuffed at the ankle with flats and a snug long-sleeved t-shirt, layered with an oversized cardigan.

I don’t feel any pressure to break out the yoga clothes anywhere but the studio (and my couch). Maybe you could look for fashion inspiration from more mature bloggers? I’ve been enjoying Jean Wang of extrapetite lately (even though I’m not particularly petite!), and learned professional style from The Work Edit.

thegreenaquarium

>
    I am aware that I should embrace yoga pants, big sweaters, and chubby white sneakers right now

…why?

I can’t say that I’ve ever seen anyone wear athleisure to work (I’m in a business casual-business formal field). Looser fits and 80s inspirations are in right now, but like, it’s not appropriate to wear any of the things you listed to the office.

I also think you’re misunderstanding the athleisure trend. Sneakers and yoga pants are, one, far from the only way athleisure is expressed, two, things that everyone has in their wardrobe so they’re a democratic gateway – but not the end-all. But overall, athleisure is about looking comfortable. And it’s true that everyone has their own definition of comfort and yours, like many people’s, happens to not fit the athleisure definition – that’s the irony of it. But in 2018 comfort means loose fits and sporty cuts. You don’t have to partake in it, but if you want to, you are not limited to yoga pants and sneakers.

mielipuolikuu

I actually think there’s a kind of a smart casual vibe with trends right now. There’s a lot of slacks, blazers and blouses and that minimalistic scandi-cool vibe is still in at least where I am (actual Scandinavia, lol). I’m beginning to see a decline in athleisure already.

gincareaddiction

Maybe just keep taking inspiration from your grandma’s era? Rubber was in short supply back in the day so you don’t have to worry about sneakers.

robotgwen

I work at a super casual job and have never worn athleisure ever, not sure what the big deal is?

If you want to look super trendy, there are plenty of trends you can partake in. Like wide-legged pants with a turtleneck and loafers. Or ankle pants and an oversized blazer. Leopard print and tweeds are in which are both more formal-looking. Big earrings are great as a statement piece.

waywtsworld

Plaid is in this fall in a big way. You could go a more preppy/equestrian/Burberry direction, if that appeals.

tigzed

I think leggings and yoga pants outside the gym are a bit tired already.

The trick might be to experiment with different silhouettes. I think we are going through a paradigm shift regarding trousers, so maybe try loose flowy, pants? midi, flowy skirts?

leopard print everything, particularly midi skirts (Warning, this likely will last just a few months). animal print this year I think. flowy shirt dresses… tapered pleated pants…

and brown-beige-tobacco-camel colored things…

reine444

sneakers are only for the gym, leggings are not work appropriate, to be honest, I’ve always felt uncomfortably casual in public in blue jeans….)

This is me. Go slightly quirky while maintaining your comfort level. I bought these platinum metallic BP now flats and absolutely adore them. Ponte slim pants – comfy like leggings but thick enough and less fitted to be “pants”. Long, slim fitting ponte knit skirts with chunkier but still fitting (I hate the super oversized trend. It looks sloppy on me).

I am aware that I should embrace yoga pants, big sweaters, and chubby white sneakers right now,

No. No you “shouldn’t”!!!

kittyglitther

>leggings are not work appropriate

Why?

MrsValentine

I think midi skirts (in the style of that leopard print number but also pleated) and floral patterned midi dresses are trendy now but work appropriate for a smart casual workplace.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: