Anyone got any insight on this phenomenon of affordable clothing with luxury aesthetics and luxury clothing with working class aesthetics?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips Anyone got any insight on this phenomenon of affordable clothing with luxury aesthetics and luxury clothing with working class aesthetics?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Iris_Mobile 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nana

Iris_Mobile

Per the article’s opening question, I am kinda bored with designer collabs. I feel like a lot of these stores that do them (H&M, mainly) already exist to sell more affordable versions of designer trends and styles anyway, so maybe the designer collabs just feel redundant at this point. And I hate the hype and false scarcity that then creates ridiculous resale operations.

I dunno, I feel like sometimes the designs just end up looking like bad H&M versions of a designer’s clothes, just in the case of a collab the designer actually gets paid and credited (which is great!) But like, it’s still H&M. I don’t care if it’s “H&M + Kenzo” or whatever, I’m not suddenly willing to pay $300 for a dress from H&M. I don’t feel like I’m buying a piece from that designer, really.

Maybe I’m just annoyed because I’ll find this stuff thrifting thinking that I found a real designer piece, only to pull it out and see the “designer × Target” tag lol.

repoetry

This is a really interesting read. For a long while retailers and designers alike have chased the pursuit of teasing the masses, more so middle-class customers, with what seems a “once in a lifetime” bargain. Owning the name brand fashion item without selling your home for the look. I think it really boils down to who is putting the items out. I see that Louis Vuitton has done more than their fair share of collaborations with many different companies, Disney, Supreme, and Karl Lagerfield to name a few. With LV being the powerhouse brand it is, we all know why they sell out so quickly, LV is a brand loved and appreciated by many customers, and also is a still one of the top players in the game of luxury. I won’t deny that I have speculated that LV collabs could cause the luxury retailer to risk their upholding as a high end brand, but I think that is where the risk is a reward with them. They seek out collabs with names that have been tested time and time again without failure. Also, LV is very selective about how many items they push out, still keeping up the exclusivity of the brand. Now, when it comes to big retailers like H&M and Target, I could see why the risk is involved. There’s the difference in price point, the seller’s reputation in the fashion community, whether or not the collection will sell or even be wanted by consumers, and if the collection ends up being a win or a loss. I think lower end companies give the biggest gamble through mass production of a collection. Most of these companies started to lean towards a model of limited number items without necessarily telling buyers it’s limited. It’s usually expected to be limited, for example when Lily Pulitzer released their line with Target, it sold out immediately. Releases akin to that one bring so much money and the hope that there might be another collab between the designer and retailer in the future. Overall, I don’t see this trend slowing down at all, until the consumers revolt and decided to stick to one name releases, or until a luxury giant falls out of the sky and into obscurity.

theacctpplcanfind

Is it just me or is there a disconnect between your post title and the article linked? Maybe I’m missing something lol

Re: your title, I think it’s the natural way of things when high end fashion emphasizes innovation and trend-setting while lower end fashion emphasizes profit. Lots of higher end fashion, in order to push the envelope or chase subversiveness, look to what is out of step with the current trends–something out of date, for example, or not associated with high fashion at all, e.g. working class aesthetics. They push new trends out there, something sticks and what was out-of-date or working-class suddenly becomes a trendy status item, which means it’s profitable, and lower end brands pick up on it to mass produce. And the cycle continues like that…

Genghis__Kant

FlakyFondant

I only care if the designer collaboration actually has better quality. Maybe not the quality of the original high end designer but higher than normal fast fashion and easily accessible is good enough for me. It usually doesn’t (or it’s like quality increases very marginally, but prices quadruple) but once in awhile the prices stay good but the clothes are much better made and then it is a blessing! If the quality is fast fashion, then I just don’t see the point. I mean, if I wanted questionably wearable trendy runway copy clothes in cheap material, I could just rush to the sale bin of F21 and pick up some weird-ass netting and a neon green shiny vest with pineaples

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: