buying an expensive japanese repro vs. just buying the original thing

Home Forums Men’s Fashion buying an expensive japanese repro vs. just buying the original thing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  skeletonmakesgood 4 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

i just purchased a used real mccoy’s m-65 field jacket online; it hasn’t arrived yet, but now i’m wondering why. original army-issue field jackets are relatively easy to come by. the real mccoy one goes to great lengths to reproduce the original garment as closely as possible, but it’s much more expensive than vintage ones you can find on ebay. i understand that the real mccoys and similar japanese repro brands make a lot of things that are not as easy to find as an m-65.

​

what should i expect when i receive this jacket? will it feel nicer, more premium, than the jackets i’ve tried on at army surplus stores? what is the idea behind buying an expensive reproduction of something that is still relatively easy to find?

skeletonmakesgood

>what is the idea behind buying an expensive reproduction of something that is still relatively easy to find?

slimmer, more modern cut + ghost-free (no one died in it)

TheAmbivalator

Fit, finish, all around quality will be leagues above any surplus you could ever get- the Japanese repro brands (McCoy’s, Rickson’s) don’t just make a faithful reproductions- through an insane dedication to the most minute details in a process that is more worship than just cut and sew, the piece they make end up somehow being *more authentic* than the originals.

It’s not that you are getting any old M-65, you are getting the Platonic ideal of the M-65.

gizayabasu

You know how they say “they don’t make them like they used to”? If you’re looking to buy vintage, that’s one thing, since that tends to be cheaper as a whole. If you’re looking to buy new, they don’t make it with the same level of care and construction. However, Japan is known to take a lot of care into the construction of its goods and will replicate the original methods, often times doing *even more* than the originals do in terms of care.

meisterwolf

yeah usually slimmer cut, i have a lot of vintage leather and the arms usually run wider than modern fits.

tectonic9

I don’t have an answer, I just want to brag that i thrifted a real mccoy waffle-knit thermal shirt for like $3! Only recognized the brand on account of MFA, so thanks.

The shirt is a good athletic cut. Thick material with little stretch due to no polyester, elastane etc. Pretty low-key piece but subtly nice. I doubt I’d have considered it at full retail price though.

joey_miglio

eh i would never drop $800 on something like that. old military is so cool to me i love every little scuf and small tear. but to each there own. im sure the quality and fit are amazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: