Everything You Wear Is Athleisure: Yoga pants, tennis shoes, and the 100-year history of how sports changed the way Americans dress

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Everything You Wear Is Athleisure: Yoga pants, tennis shoes, and the 100-year history of how sports changed the way Americans dress

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jebediah999 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Everything You Wear Is Athleisure: Yoga pants, tennis shoes, and the 100-year history of how sports changed the way Americans dress

jebediah999

And yet we are fatter than ever…go figure.

valoremz

Anyone have any “athleisure” pants recommendations? Nothing something super tight like leggings but not as fitness-y as adidas track pants. Basically a black pant that can be worn at home, to the bar, to the store, etc. that doesn’t look like track pants but doesn’t have the jogger bottom.

kittenTakeover

I have a love hate relationship with yoga pants. On the one hand I like butts and I cannot lie. On the other hand it seems like really lazy fashion for some reason that I can’t figure out. On the other other hand if I had to wear jeans as tight as women have to wear them I’d say fuck it and just wear yoga pants as well. If it’s going to be tight being stretchy is worlds more comfortable.

rickowensismydaddy

I admittedly hate the term Athleisure but I did think it made for an interesting article premise.

> A fashion historian at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, she says athleisure is the culmination of three long-term trends. First, technological improvements to synthetic fiber have made products like spandex more flexible, durable, and washable than natural materials. Second, the modern fixation on healthy appearance has made yoga pants an effective vector for “conspicuous consumption,” Thorstein Veblen’s term for products that confer status—like “extremely healthy person”— upon their owners. Finally, the blurring of yoga-studio fashion and office attire snaps into the long decline of formality in American fashion.

AncalagonthePartier

If yall haven’t bought leggings to lounge in, marketed to guys as a sports layer, or base layer, whatever, then you’re missing out. Buy some from Walmart for like $15 and enjoy basically lounging naked, but not.

jpc27699

>Other companies, like Brooks Brothers in the United Kingdom,

Umm… isn’t Brooks Brothers like the quintessential American menswear company?

onceleroreo

That was a really interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

whiskey06

I’m impressed that an American newspaper/site said ‘British Columbia’, not just ‘Vancouver, Canada’.

Anyways, here’s a quip about Vancouver from a local comedian:

View post on imgur.com

cleve96

Why are yoga pants in male fashion advice

Gar_Baggio

Chip Wilson is a hero for making Yoga Pants a thing.

mlsteinrochester

Button downs! Adapted by the original Books brothers (well, the same family) from shirts worn by polo players. I’m surprised these were left out.

BraveNewRedditor

Wow! It was cool to read about how the stereotypical dude outfit of boots, jeans, and a tshirt all have an athleisure origin!

DevlinRocha

can anyone tell me the name of the yellow shoe in the thumbnail? can’t see any branding.

Lazerkilt

Fascinating article, thank you for sharing it.

I do take issue with its title though, as for the most part, it’s incorrect in my case.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: