Goodyear Welted Shoes for under $100? Is this legit?

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Goodyear Welted Shoes for under $100? Is this legit?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HeyItsSterling 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Goodyear Welted Shoes for under $100? Is this legit?

HeyItsSterling

Legit as in it’s a GYW shoe? Yeah it’s legit.

But GYW doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a good shoe. GYW just means the shoe can be resoled when it gets bad. There was a similar thread on /r/frugalmalefashion this week.

Bottom line is: There’s no point paying $100+ for a resole on a $50 shoe with a shitty upper.

GYW =/= Quality

Otofon

I’m not super knowledgeable on gyw but the stitching on the bottom of the sole looks very fake.

unil79

Don’t see any stitch or welt in the pictures, so i doubt it.

mattsanchen

That looks like it’s Blake Stitched. You don’t see the welt on the outside of the sole but you see the stitching on the bottom of the sole that would mean that it’s probably stitched directly to the inside of the sole. If it were Goodyear Welted, well, it would usually have a more prominent welt on the outside.

Blake stitching isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it means the shoe can have a slimmer sole and be more flexible but it also means that it might not be 100% waterproof as the stitching provides direct access to the bottom of your foot because the stitching is on the inside instead of an outside welt and the shoe won’t be as durable.

poopoo-kachoo

Those monk straps are definitely not gyw. Looks like Blake or Blake rapid welting, which is fine. Can still be resoled if taken to the right cobbler. Although, I doubt the leather is decent quality at that price point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: