Hello, so how good are you all in world fashion? I am looking for places and groups least effected by “The great male renunciation”.

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Hello, so how good are you all in world fashion? I am looking for places and groups least effected by “The great male renunciation”.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MFA_Nay 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

In short, I am looking for advice for specific places and groups in the world and their fashion.

There is an event called “the great male Renunciation”, and its bascially where all men started to dress like they are going to a funeral if thats a way of putting it, emphasising vast simplicity and lack of any complex symmetry in the early 19th century. This had been going in a way happening long before the events of the french revolution in various steps, that im sure we can all know about, but this specific event was the major turning point.

So, what places, people, or so forth never either took it seriously? Are there any in the present day? I am mainly wanting to know which groups or areas either didnt practice it, or practiced it the least.

MFA_Nay

The Great Male Renunciation effected all major Western European cultures and this cultural change was spread through colonial empires and hegemonic power structures up till modern day.

From the British Empire, the effect of the Quaker, Protestant and non-denominational religious thought on American culture, to a western-centric globalisation of culture with power dressing and the business suit. The culture of dress interacts with dominant cultural and geopolitical power structures.

> So, what places, people, or so forth never either took it seriously?

The thing is the concept of the Great Male Renunciation is just that, an identified concept by academics. Did it happen? Yes. Do ‘normal’ people often stop to think about it? No.

It’s the same with decline in hat wearing across all Western nations and social classifications in the post-WW2 world. Or how the business (lounge) suit of the Victorian Era somehow became the default ‘uniform’ of doing business across countries, continents, and even cultures. It’s very rare for people to navel gaze on such matters.

> Are there any in the present day? I am mainly wanting to know which groups or areas either didnt practice it, or practiced it the least.

Linked to the above, this is a bad way of thinking about it. There wasn’t ‘did or didn’t practice’ here. It’s which were affected or affected less.

You’ll probably have to look at Western subcultures which rejected conformity in the mid 20th century. Hippies, psychedelic rockability, certain queer groups.

From a non-Western perspective (but still massively influenced because of globalisation) see the La Sape of the Congo. Go further afield and try to check out the forms of dress of cultures less affected by western cultural(al imperialism). Most government figures, heads of state, or ruling classes will take part in international relations though, and you’ll note the majority opt for Western business wear.

Modern day fashion has come further from the Great Male Renunciation, especially with the modern dress opening up into casual wear to business-casual. When before in the 19th century time (using our modern standards) there casualwear is *our* formalwear. Our casualwear to them would be vaguely analogous to *underwear*. T-shirts would be undershirts, women’s leggings would be underhosen!

Since the turn of the mid-21st century there has been an opening up of fashion choices compared to before. That’s both with new dyes and new polymer based textiles allowing the use of bright dyes.

Hope that helps.

You’ll note I’ve used a bit of academic critical theory and marxist language, but that’s mainly because it’s used a lot when talking about cultural or power imbalances in regards to this type of comparisons.

Finally I’ve got to ask, is this a homework question or just a random question?

Edit:

You should also be aware that the Great Male Renunciation wasn’t just about clothing. It was also about gender norms and norms of behaviour.

It was believed that wearing more austere and darker clothing was more ‘seemly’ for men, and this later morphed into ‘what men *should* wear’ and became a hallmark of classic masculinity.

You could argue that with changes in gender norms over time this has lessened some of the tenants around the Great Male Renunciation. I say lessened though. Many of the hallmarks are still with us.

tectonic9

>There is an event called “the great male Renunciation”

Not really an event. More of a post hoc description of a noteworthy trend shift over time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: