How do i differentiate between types of leather and which would be best for: 1) shoes 2)belts 3)wallets

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips How do i differentiate between types of leather and which would be best for: 1) shoes 2)belts 3)wallets

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cdfchopper 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

How do i differentiate between types of leather and which would be best for: 1) shoes 2)belts 3)wallets

cdfchopper

Best is an odd concept for leather. Different leather has different qualities that suit different people.

Cordovan seems really in for shoes at the moment (for a whole host of reasons), but it only suits certain styles and doesn’t take due very well. You can’t really beat calf for dress shoes.

nstarleather

Are you wanting to know based on look, feel, or the info provided?

Visually if you’re buying online, it’s virtually impossible from pictures. Even in person it’s difficult because on finished products, the edges are usually hidden, as is the back because of linings. On a brand new product even an expert would have trouble.

Now if you’re in person, you should have a better idea by feel. Anything too rubbery or plastic feeling is a red flag.

Brand, reputation, country of manufacture, and price will also tell you a lot.

If the maker tells you where the leather comes from, that’s a good sign. More specific is better: country is good, the tannery is better, the exact tannage is best. Examples:

USA/Horween/Natural Chromexcel

USA/Wickett and Craig/Russet Harness

jive_slippers

One thing that helped me find my way was just going out and interacting with quality leather products at high end stores and getting a feel for quality, then finding common denominator descriptors for the items that I liked most. I think leather can be really subjective and there’s not one variety that every individual ephod love to wear, but for example I found that my favorite leather jackets were largely lambskin. It might be best to jump in and do some tactile research rather than trying a trial and error approach with your hard earned money.

Cobyfield

Kangaroo for wallets.

I have one from RoseLeatherCrafting. Amazing wallet, nice patina now, smells like the real deal.

nyuphir

A true gentleman always matches his leathers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: