How do you balance shoulders?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion How do you balance shoulders?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  daughterjudyk 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Nana

I have very broad shoulders and I am pretty clueless about how to balance them out/minimise them using clothes (I also have big boobs if that matters). I feel like anything with a crew neck or another high neckline don’t do me any favours, nor do garments that hang from the shoulders with little other structure.

What styles/garments/outfit combos/accessories/etc can help minimize the appearance of broad shoulders?

daughterjudyk

Try to emphasize your lower half. A wider skirt, high waisted pants, wide belts.

FabulousJaguar

You basically want to direct the eye downwards to downplay the width of your shoulders. For example, tops like v-necks, long sleeved tops, waterfall jackets, shoulder seams that lie slightly off your shoulders, long thin scarves, move vertically down your body, so your shoulders aren’t emphasised. Long necklaces, heavy accessories on your hands, and dark neutral tops also do this well.

Avoid any structure around your neck and shoulders like shoulder pads, poufy sleeves, round necks, high necks, embellishments or patterns. Also avoid big heavy necklaces.

Emphasising the lower half of your body also helps to balance out your proportions, so heavy belts at the hips, patterned trousers, pleated pants, flowy skirts and lighter colours on the bottom.

[deleted]

I also have broad shoulders I like to de-emphasize. I find that more volumous hair styles help a lot (right now I have a lob that I put thickening spray and mousse in before blow drying, when I had longer hair I used a Beachweaver to get waves).

I don’t have a problem with crew necks but a gentle scoop is better.

I think I am unusual here, but I find that drop shoulders minimize while highly structured shoulders are like “HERE. THE WIDEST POINT IS RIGHT HERE.”

Regular Long or short sleeves are probably better than half sleeves.

Edit: punctuation.

vanessaves

I have the same problem, sans tits. V-necks are always flattering. I like going deeper, to just above cleave level to balance out shoulder width. Also, 3/4 sleeves are your best friend! Halternecks are surprisingly flattering for when you want to embrace broad shoulders, it’ll look strong but feminine.

For bottoms, a-line and flared skirts, culottes and bf jeans work really well to add a bit more volume to the bottom without adding bulk so you’ll look more balanced overall 🙂

hummingbirdhawkmoth

I have broad-ish shoulders (average through the chest though) and I much prefer tank top, 3/4, or long sleeve shirts to t shirt sleeves.

Teenyweenysupercat

Properly fitted clothes do wonders – I often have to buy a size up so that the seams sit correctly on my shoulders, but that can then make the rest of the dress / top look like a huge sack.

Running in the sides or adding darts (or getting a tailor to do it) means that clothes that fit across the shoulders also fit and flatter around the waist, and you don’t end up with weird bunching like if you were pulling in a waist with a belt.

davel977

I find that long sleeves work pretty well, and I think crewnecks are generally pretty good(small boobs though). I find that wide necklines tend to emphasize the shoulders too much, as with things on the sleeves of short sleeve tops like ruffles or off the shoulders type looks. I find that baggy tops don’t tend to be a good look because broad shoulders make them drape into a big round shape. I like form fitting tops that taper into the body on the sides.

BigNoseDay

Dark tops and light bottoms! Colour makes a huge difference.

rajaqueen

I have somewhat broad shoulders and honestly, I feel like regardless of cut, the biggest difference can be made by buying things that properly fit your shoulders; t-shirts that don’t fit across shoulders are really not flattering I find.

tyrannosaurusregina

V necks, drape necks, full skirts, full pants to balance.

Sometimes I just embrace the light bulb life, though, and wear a flannel shirt and slim jeans.

I also think a “loose over fitted” silhouette works if the top and/or jacket/sweater are mid-thigh or longer.

Orchidsandtears

I like boat necks for that. To minimize the breasts, you want to avoid enormous expanses of fabric. So turtlenecks and crew necks are just not your friend. But since you probably don’t want mega cleavage, try to show collarbone instead: a boat neck, a shallow scoop (that ballerina look), the right v. I like wider & shallower necklines on me, but play with it, take a few photos.

I wonder if bell sleeves / wider sleeves might be good, and you want to be deliberate about where the sleeves hit. For me, 3/4 is magical. It’s right at my waist. Cap sleeves are probably your enemy.

[deleted]

I’ve read all the basic tips for dealing with broad shoulders (wear your hair down, wear flowey on the bottom, cinch your waist, patterns) but honestly none of them work for *me*. What I find best is:

– I wear my hair up every single day. I braid it, make new updo styles, whatever. I find if I put my hair up it accentuates my neckline and makes me look slimmer. If I wear my hair down it hides my neck and accentuates my shoulders making me look heavy!

– I wear V-neck, scoop neck or tops that show some decolletage exclusively. I find this detracts from my broad boxy frame and enhances my femininity. Sometimes I show cleavage and sometimes I don’t.

– Long sleeves! Cap sleeves will make your shoulders appear bigger, short sleeves can have the same effect and don’t even THINK about sleeveless. If possible wear long or 3/4 sleeves to hide weight in the upper body. This is just works for ME, mind you.

– Dresses. Fitted dresses always look better on me but I can pull off a couple different types .Stay away from skinny jeans or skirts which will only enhance your upper body.. Some pencil skirts may be okay with a vneck top or scoop neck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: