How do you use a lookbook?

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips How do you use a lookbook?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cuube- 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

I don’t fully understand the point of a lookbook. I know you use it to gather items and styles you’d like to copy, but I also know that people often put buildings or other non-clothing items on there.

I did something similar with my old art inspiration folders, but you could draw buildings and scenes from photos, but you can’t wear them! So, why do some of you guys add this stuff to lookbooks?

cuube-

Set a stage for the aesthetic you’re trying to portray

MFA_Nay

Sometimes architecture and art are related as motifs or fit into the general aesthetic.

Workwear or Americana? Mountains and lumber. Minimalist fashion? Minimal or brutalist architecture. Scandinavian Minimalism? Throw in a fjord.

Inspiration based on colour? Why not throw in a painting which is dominantly blue, but has hints of orange in, etc.

Sometimes an image showcasing colour combinations can be better than a mediocre outfit.

Also a lot of notable designers were once architects in previous careers.
    Pierre Cardin, Tom Ford, Virgil Abloh, Thierry Mugle, Raf Simons, Pierre Balmain, Siki Im, Mary Katranzou, etc just to name a few after a quick search. And *some* see fashion as art. So there’s a bit of thematic overlap.

Edit: A [similar thread to yours several months ago](https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/7bempz/what_do_i_do_with_fashion_lookbooks/?utm_source=reddit-android) resulted in a very good Comment Of The Whatever (COTW) which gets posted on every lookbook post:

> These albums are supposed to have some kind of theme that runs through them. Sometimes the interpretation gets a little loose, but that isn’t the most fascinating part unless you’re a design process nerd. When you view these albums as a casual observer, you should be looking at the way designers use a variety of colors, textures, formality, structure, etc to put together outfits. The idea is to look at an outfit in a new way and take that into your own life.

> Take, for instance, [this picture from the Norse Projects look book.](https://dnochqo1t8a7s.cloudfront.net/client/dynamic/articles/np_winter_17_03_9653.png) Formal shoes, formal pants, casual jacket, casual sweater. Could you pull this look off? Probably not. But you could see the orange sweater working with the blue in the pants. Maybe you enjoy the line of the jacket that is accentuated by the crease in the pants and zipper of the sweater. Or maybe its even as simple as being drawn to the burnt orange sweater as a piece to add some pop to a mostly navy wardrobe. You could truly hate this outfit as a whole, but love certain elements of it.

> Later in the Norse Projects collection, we also have [this outfit](https://dnochqo1t8a7s.cloudfront.net/client/dynamic/articles/np_winter_17_11_3183.png) that uses the same pants and shoes but with a different top. Going back to the idea of themes in a collection, the formal pants are being paired again with a casual top. If you look at more pictures in the collection, you can see that casual and formal are routinely mixed And we also see a monochromatic look in this picture, which pops up in a lot of other outfits in the collection.

> So I guess, to sum up my lengthy ramble, what you should do when you view these albums is to look at the entire collection first and identify any themes. Then look at each outfit and ask yourself “What works in this outfit?” and then ask “What doesn’t work on this outfit?” And, if you want to go a step further, figure out how to fix what doesn’t work.

unimpressed_llama

It’s nice to get a feel for colors and a general aesthetic.

BespokeDebtor

There’s a comment about that in the wiki

TimDessaint

I believe you can get just as much style inspiration from non-fashion related content, for example you might save a photo of a certain building because you enjoy its architecture, its design, and/or its colors, and you can use that to inspire you in recreating an outfit applying some of the principles from the building’s design. Developing personal style is about telling a story with your clothes, and you can get inspiration from things other than clothes to tell that story!

BobbyRed

I don’t have much to add but this [lookbook](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et5krhmF14o) video is very well put together with the scenery and buildings you mention. Anyone have any other videos like this?

PinkClubCs

They serve as inspiration and tell the story of the person who wears those clothes. So if there’s photos of buildings then that’s like a typical scene where the clothes might be worn. Sometimes it’s just aesthetic shit though, people think it looks cool and suits the vibe (eg. Minimal clothes, minimal architecture)

ext23

Cynically observe, tell myself in vain that I still look better, look down at my flabby stomach and lack of biceps, cry myself to sleep, rinse and repeat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: