How to resist buying “statement pieces” and in the moment “fun” pieces?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips How to resist buying “statement pieces” and in the moment “fun” pieces?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ee_bird 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Nana

I’ve recently been transitioning my wardrobe over from basically everything I “love” on a given day, to a simple, muted colours, quality, utilitarian minimalistic aesthetic. Think Muji clothing! I still look at ruffles and bright polkadot dresses, and tutus and want to buy and wear… but I know in the long run it’s better for the environment, my wallet, getting dressed in the morning, owning less things, etc if I don’t buy these things and stick to one look! Especially since a lot of these clothes bring me from school to the outdoors to the bar etc and they never look out of place anywhere.

Another part of my problem is that I have changed my style quite drastically over the last 2 years, multiple times. Used to dress quite goth with lots of make up and dark lips and black tutus etc. Then decided I didn’t need to show case my love of metal music and taxidermy on the outside, transitioned to more “normal” clothes, then started dressing in feminine dresses with cardigans and bows and flats.
    I really want this to be my last “phase” lol !
    Tired of complete wardrobe regains because of how I want to “present” myself! This look is perfect for me and I’d like to go with it and ride it out.

So my question is, to those of you with a defined style, (whatever t may be) how do you resist buying those “fun” “statement” pieces? And stick to your new (or old) but defined style?

ee_bird

does this new style feel like “you”? or does it feel like another itch to be scratched. if you arent happy with utilitarian clothes you’ll get frustrated and do a major overhaul in the future.

you should enjoy your clothes whether they are statement or basic. my wardrobe is mostly basics with fun statement shoes, coats, and jewelry and it feels like “me”.

you will feel and look out of place if you are wearing a costume. barring obvious dress code faux-pas, if you wear the clothes you love you will feel like you and comfortable. thats the great fun thing about fashion – finding the best expression of yourself

Zhe_WIP

I think a wardrobe with no fun or “statement” pieces would be pretty boring personally. If you can afford it, have the space for it and would actually wear it I say go for it once I’m while.

mallenstreak

I think you should still buy statement/fun pieces! As long as you have the basics of your capsule wardrobe, ie things you know will always go together, then you can add colour and print as well 🙂

trustypenguin

Maybe I’m wrong, but it feels to me like you’re trying to shoehorn yourself into a more minimalist style because you think it’s the right thing to do. I know I went through a phase like that when I was younger, so I could just be projecting my experience onto you.

My style is very colorful and a little dramatic. Basically, I feel like the polar opposite of everything that’s been in style for the past 10 years, lol. And yet, my bold, colorful pieces seem endlessly combine-able for me.

Susccmmp

I buy and wear what I love.

I only have to talk myself out of it if I can’t afford it.

tismsia

> I’ve recently been transitioning my wardrobe over from basically everything I “love” on a given day, to a simple, muted colours, quality, utilitarian minimalistic aesthetic.

I’ve tried this style. I’m pretty sure every single person in their early twenties that has visited this subreddit, or pinterest, has tried this style or at least considered trying this style. It’s a good style. Nothing wrong with the aesthetic in particular, I have a few friends who dress like this and I think they always look great. But it really doesn’t suit me. Problem is the colors are boring. And I spill a lot of food. And the clothes expensive, since a defining feature of this style is quality.

I’m trash-talking this style because I honestly don’t think this is your style.

If it was, you’d already have been wearing the fast fashion equivalent of the clothes for the last 2 years, or at least 6 months. And your comment history says you’re 22 and Canadian. This style isn’t something that I would recommend to a person at that age because they are more likely to change jobs (and therefore change work wardrobe) or climates (and therefore change day wardrobe).

> etc if I don’t buy these things and stick to one look! Especially since a lot of these clothes bring me from school to the outdoors to the bar etc and they never look out of place anywhere.

Now my next question is incredibly biased, because it’s what worked for me. But I really believe it’s something that everyone does, whether they pursue it consciously or not. *Have you considered a fixed color palette?* Do you know what “season” you are? It seems like your favorite part of the Muji aesthetic is that it’s “minimalist”. A fixed color palette is minimalist, but also doesn’t exclude maximalist fashionistas. There’s tons flexibility with statement pieces. It makes it easier to mix work clothes with day clothes with gym clothes with night clothes with all your accessories (and shoes, oh my god, especially shoes).

[This post regarding signature color](https://old.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/4y10z2/popofcolor_inspo_and_thoughts_on_having_a/) was what motivated me the most, even though it wasn’t the direction I ended up going (too extreme for me). [This post](https://old.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/7geq0r/color_palette_discussion_fun_time/) is a more honest discussion on if/how/why it’s useful.

>So my question is, to those of you with a defined style, (whatever t may be) how do you resist buying those “fun” “statement” pieces? And stick to your new (or old) but defined style?

Muji Apparel follows a color palette. If/When you’re hit with the desire to buy a “fun” or “statement” piece, keeping a color palette in mind will help you stick with the style. All of my cold-shoulder tops, floral dresses, ruffle tees, are within my color palette. They’re not exactly my style, but they don’t look out of place when I wear them.

wyrdfishes

I have a fairly defined style, but if I see things that will suit me that may not fit that style, I often just buy them anyway. I don’t go bananas with it, and I try to make sure it goes with things I already own and doesn’t require a bunch of extra purchases to make it work. For example, if there’s a great blouse on sale that I reeeally want and I have no bottoms to go with it, I might look for a bottom that goes with it *and* works with other things I already own. Then I’d get that bottom and the blouse (not necessarily at the same time). If I’m concerned about spending too much on clothes that doesn’t go with my main style, I will decide on a portion of my clothing budget for that type of clothes and stick to that.

My feeling is, if you like it, can afford it, and intend to wear it, why not get it? If sticking to one style feels like a chore to the point where you have to restrain yourself from going outside the lines, then maybe one defined style isn’t enough. And that’s okay. What if you had a secondary style for times when you want to change things up? Is it possible to make some of those statement pieces work with some of the minimalist pieces you already have?

yellowpolish

I’ve purchased many statement pieces that were meant to help me define my style, but many of them went unworn because my imagined look did not match what I actually needed in my wardrobe at the time. This includes flowy, ruffled tops which ended up being a pain to wear. And statement fabrics that ended up being limiting because they matched almost none of my other pieces. Or the tops with cutouts or v-necks that were inappropriate for work.

My solution has been an easy one. I keep the tags and receipts until I’m ready to wear an item. When I put something on in the morning, I either feel a bit of regret, or I have a eureka moment when I realize it’s exactly what I’ve been missing. If something conjures up regret, I return it. The money back into my wallet is enough to soothe the failed attempt at developing my personal style!

WolfgangTheEighth

Well, I wouldn’t say I have a very defined personal style, but I definitely lean towards minimalistic/utilitarian pieces, basics mostly. For every clothing item I have several basic options (like; in purses black leather & brown leather, in coats it’s black and tan, bottoms I have lots of blue jeans, black jeans, black trousers (summer/winter), grey trousers (winter), and so on); but few other things (especially for outer layers and accessories I really only have basics).

Therefore, for statement pieces it *should* be possible to find a number of basics in my wardrobe to go with it. For example, I do have a deep dark green velvet skirt.
    So if I’m looking at a more out there/fun/statement piece at a store, I consider with how many of my basics it would work. Only one specific combination? Bad. Don’t even have everything I’d need? Very bad.
    If it *does* work well… then I tell myself “too bad, you don’t need it” and still don’t buy it.
    And if several weeks after that I’m still thinking about that one thing, then I do go back and buy it.

It also helps that I’m very quick to judge stores (often enough I go in, see that the general aesthetic isn’t mine, turn around and go right back out); and I walk through stores pretty quickly – something has to either really catch my eye, or be something that I’m already looking for.
    I can’t go shopping with my mum – she’s one of those people that goes into every store and looks at every thing, so 90% of the time she’s shopping I just spend waiting for her. She finds lots of things that I really like and that I never would’ve found, because I didn’t even give the store a chance… By I figure, I didn’t *need* it, so it’s just money I saved.

mashimero

For me, statement or trendy pieces have to be in my budget, and also be able to go with a large part of my existing wardrobe. I also try to limit myself, since I’m trying to cut back on shopping to reduce waste as well as saving money and space. I won’t go for a trend right away, but maybe if a trend has been around for a few seasons, and there are more subtle takes on it, and I’m still interested, I might get it then. One example is open/cold shoulder. When the trend first came out, *everything* was cold shoulder, and I didn’t find a lot of the styles to be flattering on me. But it’s still a thing in stores now, but it leans more towards relaxed fits versus structured shirts with holes cut out, and that fits my style more and I think will last me longer.

Gialicious

I have always paid attention to characters on shows. How certain women’s characters are based off of color patterns, or cuts… They are styled right down to their haircut to be a “character”. So over the last year or so I created my own version of my “character”. I try to stick to my character’s wardrobe choices, what she has felt most confident in, and I also give thoughtful consideration to the staples I feel comfortable in. With your “character” in mind, it’s a little easier to take pause in the store or online before buying something completely out of your zone.

So my character (Gia): She’s a very confident, passionate character and this is translated in her appearance. She works as a webcam model full time so she isn’t bound to the professional dress that most women are bound to. She wears lots of rich jewel tones, never black. Navy blue, emerald green, vibrant reds. Basic dresses that compliment her figure, or form fitting sweaters paired with a skirt and wedge heels. Just simple, feminine and usually paired with a gold necklace or two. Nothing chunky or loud or even particularly fashion forward. When dressing up, she actually sticks to cool tones… shades of blue, light pinks and so on. Still with her character’s theme of no patterned fabrics, showing just the right amount of decolletage, and always showing off the legs. While she does dress a little sexier than most women, the fabrics are never cheap looking, and the jewelry is always simple but complimentary.

If I use this character persona while shopping I think hard about it so that I know ahead of time if something will compliment me. Just the other night I almost bought some bright red patent heels… but then I sat there thinking, what would I pair this with in my ensemble? And does it fit me? No, it didn’t in the end, as much as I want to be Carrie Bradshaw running around town in heels! On the other hand, I was looking at birthday dresses and I decided on this gorgeous blue/white tye dye dress from FashionNova… definitely not something I would normally wear due to the pattern, but it meets all my other dress criteria and I know it will look gorgeous. Okay this was a ton of text. Sorry!!

robotgwen

My fun statement pieces are my giant black sweaters. They’re 100% basics and the foundation of my wardrobe, and also the things I’m most excited about buying and wearing.

Maybe if your new style isn’t giving you room to have at least a few things that are fun and exciting and “feel” like you, then it’s not quite the right style for you? Or if you find yourself drawn to certain things but know deep down that you wouldn’t actually wear them for whatever reason, you can work on restraining yourself to appreciate them but not want them. I have several pinterest boards of clothes that I like looking at but I wouldn’t actually wear and/or are appropriate for my lifestyle.

PartyPorpoise

I have no problem buying statement pieces as long as they work for my lifestyle. I only have to avoid buying stuff I won’t be able wear, ha ha. I don’t even have a single defined style, I like playing with lots of styles!

Iolanthe1992

If your fun/statement pieces are of good quality, and if you love them for themselves (i.e. not just because they’re trendy), it’s worth owning them! This idea of “owning fewer things” as an inherent good really bothers me–if you love everything you own and don’t intend to throw it away, what’s the problem? *Consuming* fewer things, in the long run, seems to me like a better goal (that is, less buying new, less throwing away, more keeping and loving). /endrant

That said, you might find it useful to ask yourself a couple of questions before you buy something a little more fun than utilitarian:

* Will you love it in two years?
    * Can you wear it in multiple ways?
    * Do you have anything overly similar in your wardrobe?
    * Does it fit your lifestyle?
    * Will this purchase prevent you buying something more essential?
    * Is it well-made? (Consider the fabric, construction, cut, etc.)

If you’re satisfied with the answers and have the budget, it’s probably a reasonable purchase.

traggie

I know you want to stick with your minimalist thing because it works for you, but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to never buy statement pieces ever either. I’m a maximalist at heart, but I’m trying to pare down my wardrobe, so while I’m still looking for statement pieces, I’m trying to be more deliberate with my purchases. Like right now, I’m planning on getting a tulle skirt, so I’m thinking about how well it will function with my wardrobe – how many pieces can I wear it with, how many different levels it can work on my vintage girly <—> punky cool spectrum, how can I tone it down to make it more casual and how can I play it up and make it more fun, etc.

laurasaurus5

Most of my “everyday” clothes were “statement” clothes at one point!

Lani_Kai

I wear jewelry. I love it and try to put together interesting combos and usually have a theme even if only I know what it is. Sometimes it is a color, sometimes it is patterns or meanings. So all my basic blacks and greys get dressed up or down depending on how I feel that morning. I try to buy things I love for a dollar or two at the flea market or thrift stores. I have tons of vintage pieces and absolutely love seeing them and wearing them. Then all my clothes match and look the same, and I get to change it up at the same time.

northstar599
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: