if i know that i like a certain designer aesthetic, how do i learn to replicate that in real clothes?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips if i know that i like a certain designer aesthetic, how do i learn to replicate that in real clothes?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  oliviascankles 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Nana

to be honest, this is less about me and more how do i help a friend. i showed them a video of a few céline shows by philo (not the atrocious bullshit that hedi pulled — ironically, my own interest in fashion was kind of caused by hedi at ysl but that’s neither here nor there). but they liked the drapey stuff. which isn’t really my thing. i have my medium-to-dark-grey sweaters and soft tshirts and hoodies with a side of black jeans and navy chinos and olive jackets thing down, mostly through gradual accumulation.

but how does one take that inspiration and then find actually attainable clothes ? from scratch??? we’re students, so not a lot of budget. thrifting ? there isn’t a lot available tbh. aimlessly wandering around stores ??? i love fashion-as-art, so exploring a new aesthetic to help my friend definitely seems like fun, but i’m kind of lost.

what makes this whole thing more complicated is that they’re amab nonbinary, which makes sizing more annoying i would expect. but idk, i think it’s still doable. thoughts???

oliviascankles

I think a huge part of it is just exploring online and finding different brands and stores that fit your aesthetic, rather than looking for an exact replica of a designer item. For example, I know that I love Erdem, so I check out Self-Portrait because a lot of their designs have similar vibes. It gets easier as you familiarize yourself with your options.

When in doubt, fast fashion stores such as Zara, F21, etc. usually have affordable versions of designer trends.

pygoscelis

Learning the few key fashion vocabulary terms that define common details in the aesthetic they like might help. There are lots of infographics and resources for this that pop up if you search google or pinterest for “fashion vocabulary”, and if you’ve got time, Zoe Hong has a good vocab video series on youtube. Also generally pay attention to how retailers describe items. Then you can search for things like “knit boyfriend blazer with patch pockets” vs just “blazer”, “cowl-neck cable-knit tunic sweater with trumpet sleeves” instead of “sweater”, or “waterfall longline cardigan” instead of just “cardigan”.

Also seconding checking online stores for Forever21, Zara, ASOS, etc which often have hugely varied stock with their versions of popular designs for the season. The shopping tab in google can be helpful in finding new shops to try and the filtering there is pretty decent. Scroll ruthlessly and iterate on your search queries quickly.

Iolanthe1992

Fast fashion is a great place to start getting out of your comfort zone. You just have to shop thoughtfully or you can end up wasting a lot of money on things that fall apart or go out of style. That said, the fit can be unpredictable, so it’s better to shop in-store if you can.

Also, lot of these designers are referencing previous decades/styles. If you can figure out what they’re alluding to, sometimes you can find the *original* version of the trend in vintage shops or on Etsy. Clothes used to be made better, so non-designer vintage can be great value for quality.

Does your friend know their measurements? It can be very helpful to have this information when shopping secondhand. You could take them to a tailor to get accurate measurements done, and it might prove useful 🙂

TheDesiEnby

Long time lurker. first time commenter. Finally made a Reddit account just to comment on this post. As an amab nonbinary person from an extremely unsupportive environment, thank you for being an ally and helping your friend out. It may not seem like a lot but I’m sure they are really glad to have you around. People are shit to us enbies.
    i myself, love fashion-as-art. Due to overbearing parents I’m not able to fully express myself in public. but in private it’s what I love doing. what I’d recommend is that you try and introduce yourself to what’s out there and try and help them figure what their aesthetic actually is. Walking around aimlessly, spending hours online shopping, going to thrift stores in the area. That’s my thing. But it’s not for everyone. Sometimes that’s what you need to do to though to develop your style. just to see what’s out there. Idk how much knowledge your friend has about what they want, but just try and expose them to as much as you can, and help them figure out what they want. Like other Redditors have mentioned ASOS and and google shopping are always great resources for when you’re actually ready to start looking. Does your friend know their measurements? Are there any other lines they are interested in besides Céline by Philo? What other inclinations do you know about their aesthetic?

crazyrepasian

Poshmarkkkkk. Try searching “drape(y) cardigan” or “drape top” or “drape coat”. ASOS too. Loads of drape. Try “waterfall cardigan/coat” too.

Basically look around on ASOS and see what stuff your friend likes is described as, then use those terms on poshmark/ebay maybe.

londonsocialite

Hey speaking of Hedi [this is his reply](https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/hedi-slimane-hits-back-first-comments-celine-critics-1202867968/) to people’s comments on his first CELINE show.

So embarrassing and cringeworthy. He did the same at Saint Laurent as well.

lostmylittleoilflask

If you have the transportation to do this, try thrifting in a new area. I’ve found that my luck with secondhand clothes varies wildly depending on where I’ve lived—some places have had amazing thrift stores which get designer clothes donated with the tags still on, other places get mostly well-worn bargain store clothes. In general, the more affluent the community the better the thrifting. (Which is how I developed a professional wardrobe as a grad student in an area where most people made way more than me.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: