Is the Streetwear Bubble About to Burst?

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Is the Streetwear Bubble About to Burst?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Uptons_BJs 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Is the Streetwear Bubble About to Burst?

Uptons_BJs

Arguably, all fashion is a bubble.

After all, the definition of bubble is: “trade in an asset at a price or price range that strongly exceeds the asset’s intrinsic value.” Whenever you’re buying the latest fashions, you are paying above the intrinsic value of the item. After all you pay MSRP or even above for this seasons clothing, while you can pick it up at a massive discount next year at the outlet.

Now I do believe that a lot of the current streetware trends are about to end. After all, when I see Asian dad’s wearing supreme because “that’s what the kids want nowadays”, I think it is close to being over.

The question is, after an article of clothing leaves the “bleeding edge” of fashion, does it just disappear (like zoot suits and Heelys did), or does it achieve evergreen status to fill outlets (Omega Speedmaster, Levis 501s, etc). I don’t think much of today’s streetware has the ability to reach evergreen status unfortunately, as it is too hype driven.

elastic88

God I hope so. The novelty/meta-ness of Supreme, etc. wore off really fast. I have no problem with “streetwear” as clothing, but the value associated to brand for the sake of brand is the epitome of stupidity. Yes I get there is an ironic element that was “edgy” at one point (like that vetements DHL T-shirt), but the whole “drops” “collabs” “limited edition” culture is just an excuse to squeeze profits out of hyped up consumers with too much money to spend.

suedeandconfused

I travel a lot for work and don’t see much streetwear outside of New York. That makes me think we’re still probably a year away from “peak” streetwear.

midnghttt

I sure hope so.

Of course fashion is cyclical, but a number of popular designers within the streetwear spectrum (Kim Jones, Raf Simons, etc.) talk about the idea of tailoring and wearing well-fitted clothing making a triumphant return into mainstream fashion.

maximum_dadpants

[https://imgur.com/a/TTm0V15](https://imgur.com/a/TTm0V15)

vertexwise

I’m pretty sure everyone participating in the streetwear hype knows that they’re participating in a bubble, and that it’s a terrible investment. On a short time scale the items go from initial sale price, to insanely overpriced resale, to basically worthless once the hype has moved on. In other bubbles (stocks, real estate, tulips) people are convincing themselves that they’re buying some asset that will appreciate and that can be resold later. My impression is that not many people are buying these things with the hopes of them holding value over years or even months. So, when the bubble bursts the people being affected will be those who buy new items at retail, and then can’t flip them for profit, and companies that don’t sell out their production runs because fashion has moved on. In the end this will not be a big deal for pretty much anyone.

Honey-Badger

Fashion trends change? WTF. So you mean we have to buy new clothes? omg….

bbqyak

Fingers crossed guys 🤞🤞

soemptylmfao

The thing about streetwear is that it is overvalued in terms of prices. Let’s say wool outerwear is consistent and cost really comes from the quality of materials unless producer is being dishonest (e.g. Bellstaff using polyester in 1,6k dollars coat), however the cost of hoodies and minor items is just based on the “hype”, at some point it will go away and prices will decrease while the style will remain.

allhailgolb

Pretty much take anything written on Hypebeast w a grain of salt. There are usually typos riddled throughout and then edits to articles later on after a commenter brings up some valid point, indicating the article was super skewed or super clickbaity.

The_BestUsername

Honestly, if the bubble bursting leads to all the capitalist, shareholder-y people leaving the community and going elsewhere, I think that in the long-term that would actually be fantastic for the community. With the greedy price-gouging, megacorporations, and posers who only care about looking rich without actually caring about the community and culture, all gone and out of the way, I think it could leave room for new opportunities for new, independent, innovative indie brands to have a chance, and for streetwear culture to return to its old roots in self-expression, creativity, and community.

AssRegulator

I’ll never understand the appeal of stuff like supreme. I mean yeah, it works for a very narrow age group of what, 18-25 year olds….but I can’t imagine spending that much money on something that’ll go out of style that quickly, especially for a t-shirt or polo.

I mean everyone ripped how bad Ed Hardy and Affliction gear was…why isn’t supreme in there as well?

lastatica
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: