Looking for an explanation on my Steve Job’s black turtle neck or Mark Zuckerburg’s gray shirt costs 500$, besides ‘it’s a status symbol’.

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Looking for an explanation on my Steve Job’s black turtle neck or Mark Zuckerburg’s gray shirt costs 500$, besides ‘it’s a status symbol’.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mattsanchen 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Looking for an explanation on my Steve Job’s black turtle neck or Mark Zuckerburg’s gray shirt costs 500$, besides ‘it’s a status symbol’.

mattsanchen

It’s a brand. They’re businessmen who rely, in part, on selling themselves so they standardize how they appear in public. They’re as much as a product as what they sell so making sure it’s all in brand is helpful.

This is why, in my opinion, Zuckerberg wore a suit to the hearings at congress. Not only because he needed to look formal but because he also needed to represent Facebook as more than just an extension of his supposed “genius”. He needed to show that Facebook was a serious company so he dressed as a serious person and not as “Mark Zuckerberg, the genius who’s so smart that taking a minute to pick clothes in the morning will make him stupid.”

setfiretoflames

I’m pretty sure Jobs just really liked those Issey turtlenecks and was someone who generally just devoted themselves to whatever they liked and just stayed the course.

Also, if you find something you like that much and have the means to buy it at that high price, why would you worry about whether there is something else with a modicum of the same style for a lower price?

dieselpwrd

Because why not? Zuck could spend 10,000 on a shirt, and it would still be cheaper to him than me buying a pack of gum, comparatively.

redtert

They’re probably custom-made to their measurements which will always cost much more than something that’s mass-produced.

MenanS1

I’m pretty sure someone went out and bought it for them and they just walked into a Saks cause they can

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: