Looking for dress shirts for business casual environment

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Looking for dress shirts for business casual environment

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SaltyDude94 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

I’ve moved into a new job that is more business casual and am upgrading my wardrobe. I have mostly worn polos (Uniqlo, Lacoste) and chinos or jeans (Bonobos, J. Crew) and sneakers up until now. Going forward, I’m planning on wearing button up shirt tucked in with chinos/belt and nicer sneakers or leather shoes. The majority of my button up shirts are more casual ones from J. Crew and I’m looking to buy new ones.

I ordered some of the new J Crew Ludlow shirts and I like the fabric and overall fit but I’m not a fan of the collars which seem disproportionately large. My criteria are as follows:

– Nicer fabric (two-ply preferably)

– Comes in variety of colors/patterns (I’m not a big fan of solid colors, prefer patterns like gingham, checks, windowpane, stripes)

– Collar right-sized – I’ll be wearing the shirt likely with top button undone, no tie

– Preferably wrinkle-free or easy maintenance; I steam but don’t iron and would like the shirt to look ok at end of day

– Comes in slim fit

– Price $50-80 (willing to buy in bundles to get discounts)

I haven’t tried Charles Tyrwhitt but looks like they might meet these criteria. Any other brands that you would recommend?

SaltyDude94

When BB does the 4 for 200 deal jump on it

ThePresidentKing

You could try proper cloth for made to measure custom shirts, https://propercloth.com/i/9bln2y free remake if you dont like the fit. Their shirts start at $80 and that code is for $20 off your first shirt, so it’ll fit in your budget.

throwaway5884609

Ludlow collars disproportionately large? Was that a typo because they usually tend to be small.

Arabian_Wolf

Pay your tributes to our lord and savior:

U N I Q L O

LSMaestro

J Crew OCBDs are my jam. Also like Brooks Brothers dress shirts and sport shirts.

xiongchiamiov

> – Price $50-80 (willing to buy in bundles to get discounts)
    >
    > I haven’t tried Charles Tyrwhitt but looks like they might meet these criteria.

Fyi CT is easy to get shirts for $50 in bundles. You can get them down to $30 if you’re patient, but if speed is more important $50 is basically all the time. Subscribe to their emails too; the coupon codes there often stack with the promotions listed on the site even if they say they don’t.

danhakimi

[Dress Shirt recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/comments/862d5v)

Charles Tyrwhitt is a little cheaper ($33 per shirt — don’t pay more), but they have a cool line of “business casual shirts” — I have a blue herringbone shirt with a button down collar that’s soft and just wonderful.

If you’re somewhere where you can get measured for MTM shirting, you have a few options there too — proper cloth, luxire, black lapel…

maximum_dadpants

CT is a good bet for spread/semi spread collar dress shirts. They’re the entry level for all things classic tailoring; everything is properly made with all the things you’d expect. Their stuff is made from natural fibres with no polyester apart from jacket/pants linings (even then, it’s not used as much as in cheaper/sketchier options). The only exception is their mainline shoes with plasticky feeling leather, though their higher end calfskins feel decent and are competitively priced.

Be wary of their cuts though, they’re made for ageing businessmen. “Classic” means obese, their slim is baggy on me and I am not a slim dude (the Uniqlo regular fit oxford in medium is a close fit on me, for comparison). Either try on in store, or if you can’t then get one in the cut you think you are and one in the one below; they have extra- and super- slim options now.

TigerJas

If no tie, I assume you are only considering button down collars.

You can try the J Crew OCBDs.

Plenty of patterns to choose from.

dafuqey

I typically have my dress shirt tailored since most store brand shirt does not fit me well since I lift weights. Typically they are quite affordable. You can select fabric and style. Made to measure so the shirt fits very well. Finding good tailor who knows the trend is the key.

dafuqey

I typically have my dress shirt tailored since most store brand shirt does not fit me well since I lift weights. Typically they are quite affordable. You can select fabric and style. Made to measure so the shirt fits very well. Finding good tailor who knows the trend is the key.

Gopokes34

Not sure if you’ll like the collars but I recently bought one or two lands end button downs and immediately bought 2 more. Good price, good color options, like every size available, and they look great at the end of the day. When I did my first order I got two of each in different sizes to figure out what fits best.

themeatstrangler

I buy all my work clothes at a Banana Republic outfit. It’s very easy to go once in awhile and pick out a few slim fit button ups in different patterns, and the pants are great too.

yitianjian

I really like the Oxfords from Banana Republic, basically anything from Club Monaco, and COS for a more sleek and minimalist cut.

JAproofrok

Taylor Stitch

balbizza

Mizzen and main

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: