Need help/advice/guidance with dress shirt collars

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Need help/advice/guidance with dress shirt collars

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bearded4Glory 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Gents,

I’m at attorney, and while I wear a full suit at least once a week I do not wear a tie unless I’ve got a hearing/trial or some other formal plan for the day. As such, I spend most my day in pants and a tucked-in button down.

I made the mistake of buying quite a few shirts over the last several years that have a wide (at least, too wide for my taste) point collar with no buttons. Some are very wide-spread, even with full-buttoning. I *really* don’t like how they look when I’m not wearing a tie, but at the same time, they are (a) nice shirts that I do want to keep, and (b) work great (or well enough, for some) when I’m wearing a tie / goin full-regalia.

So, I’m wondering if any of you have any guidance or insight into how I can reduce the spread of the collars?

I’ve even considered getting some kinda two-sided adhesive tabs and putting them between the fold of my collar (like somewhere along the collar tab slot) to stand it up straighter and prevent the points from spreading out toward my shoulders. That would likely ruin a shirt and prevent future tie use, so I realize that’s an unrealistic solution.

Is my best bet going to a tailor and having them put buttons and a little inner-collar button slip into the shirts? Is there anything that exists the help with this? Or, did I simply make a big mistake buying these wide-spread buttonless-collar dress shirts without thinking how they’d look without a tie?

Any and all insight/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bearded4Glory

You might want to try magnetic collar stays. One piece slips into the slot on the bottom of the collar and the second goes on the inside of the collar. They attract each other and keep the collar tight to the shirt.

This may or may not work depending on the shirt. If the collar is really long so that it can’t stand up without the collar running into your chest, just depends on the shirt.

A lot easier than modifying the shirts and they wouldn’t look right with that long of a collar and a button hole anyways.

>tucked-in button down

Just FYI button down is referring to the collar, what you are wearing is a button up. Most people get this wrong so don’t feel too bad.

MysteriousExpert

A button-down collar is traditionally considered less formal than a regular point or spread collar. Depending on how formal your office is, it might not be the right thing.

Metal collar stays are what you need. You can buy boxes of dozens on Amazon for $10-$20. After you put them in, you can bend them to give the collar the shape you want. Don’t forget to take them out when you wash the shirt.

Khayembii

Others have said collar stays (which you should be using if they’re not button down regardless of this issue).

The design of the collar could be the issue inherently, too. Tough to tell from your description if it’s design or just how it’s laying.

In any case, I work in finance, and wear suits when I have client meetings but otherwise am wearing a button down with pants (sometimes wear a suit without a tie and take off the jacket). If you’re in the market for new shirts I’d recommend the Charles Tyrwhitt with the classic collars. Look good without a tie and with, and the spread won’t be too wide in any case. They just had a sale for Black Friday but might have another one for Christmas. Usually go on sale for $30/ea once a year.

donegalwake

Not much can be done other than using them on days you wear ties. Having them altered by adding a button and tab underneath may work or it might look odd. Better to alter one first then see.

TigerJas

Jeez, don’t make it awkward. Just start wearing ties everyday.

Plenty of casual ties (grenadine, cotton, knit, etc).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: