RAINS Jacket Review + More Raincoats for 90+ degree weather and rains

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips RAINS Jacket Review + More Raincoats for 90+ degree weather and rains

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Metcarfre 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

I live in Gainesville, FL. It’s hot and rainy all the time. Here’s what jackets I wear on the daily that keep me cool yet dry.

​

This is mostly a puff piece on my Rains jacket (in stone [https://www.us.rains.com/collections/rainwear/products/jacket-male?variant=12390654574615](https://www.us.rains.com/collections/rainwear/products/jacket-male?variant=12390654574615)). I tried this on in NYC in the MOMA design store, and thought the Navy one looked great, but ended up going with the lighter color

​

Pros:

* Looks amazing, especially in that color. People just “assume” it’s expensive because of how unique it looks.
    * Cool rubbery look not often seen in the South or in college campuses
    * Very light
    * Had it 2 years now, not any kind of damage yet
    * Beautifully constructed, vent flaps on the back

Cons:

* Not as breathable
    * I wear a L in everything, and picked up the M/L size. It’s great, but the sleeves are a little long (I roll them up to show my watch)

​

Other backups:

Patagonia torrentshell (the best for staying cool!)

* I’m sure there’s reviews on this jacket already, but it seriously is SO great!

Columbia rain jacket, gators edition ([https://www.fanatics.com/Florida_Gators_Columbia_Collegiate_Roan_Mountain_Jacket__Royal/t-12726314+o-83+d-86445633+f-4973354+z-8-4103541959?utm_medium=cse&cid=FALL25&_s=GPA_CA&sku=11206414&targetid=pla-299684803582&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwQDBA1RgqsTy17pLoXRE382nS-Z5G9Hjq1iVHjaVTpt84RJJ_2v19RoCRNUQAvD_BwE](https://www.fanatics.com/Florida_Gators_Columbia_Collegiate_Roan_Mountain_Jacket__Royal/t-12726314+o-83+d-86445633+f-4973354+z-8-4103541959?utm_medium=cse&cid=FALL25&_s=GPA_CA&sku=11206414&targetid=pla-299684803582&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwQDBA1RgqsTy17pLoXRE382nS-Z5G9Hjq1iVHjaVTpt84RJJ_2v19RoCRNUQAvD_BwE))

​

Metcarfre

I’m genuinely surprised to see you advocating for it. I would assume someone living where it rains so hot would want something breathable.

I love mine, but I wear it more on cool-to-cold rainy days here in Vancouver (0-15C).

Oliverppls

I thought about coming out with a line of rain jackets and umbrellas because my name is also Rains. Apparently, someone with the same name has beaten me to it.

SuperNanoCat

> People just “assume” it’s expensive because of how unique it looks.

Uh, for me, $110 is still kinda expensive lmao

Armonster

is ‘sage’ a human wtf

TubbyMarmot

I like that Columbia jacket, give me an FAU instead of UF and it is perfect!

dillonm7

I have both the Rains jacket (in Navy) and the Patagonia as well. Great combo in my opinion. I generally won’t wear the Rains jacket until it’s around 60 or lower though, because I get hot pretty quickly in mine.

Only other “Con” of that jacket is that it’s kind of a pain in the ass with a backpack on. At least for me, it was pretty difficult to take my backpack on and off, and when I was walking the rubber would stick to the bag and pull the jacket up. Still love it though.

rakesh_cristoval

do you have fit pics?

I just ordered an arcteryx. They’re popular where I live but I’m kind of skeptical of the technology. Rubber type fabrics are the only thing that really keeps rain out.

comrade_d-rusty

Highly recommended if you live in a cold rainy climate

jpz_crash

Do Rains fit true to size? I usually wear a M in everything. Not sure if I should go S/M or M/L

RealaGorilla

I live in Oregon where the weather gets in the low 36 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) and it rains a lot. I was thinking of ordering the Patagonia Torrentshell but I also saw that I could get the more affordable Rains jacket. However I hear it’s less breathable than the Patagonia. Is that true? Which should I get?

PMyourBalloonKnot

Looks just like the one I bought at Target for $35.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: