Replica/Knock-Off Clothing “Companies” to Look Out For?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips Replica/Knock-Off Clothing “Companies” to Look Out For?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Geobead 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Nana

I’ve seen a lot of companies online lately that appear to be advertising a product for extremely cheap (62% off!) and I’m hesitant to buy anything from them. I’ve read that a lot of these companies send products that don’t look or fit like they do in the picture (colors, fabric, and shape are all extremely off).

Does anyone know specifically how to spot these types of companies? A few things I’ve noticed (but can’t say for certain that all of them share) are that:

1. The heads are cut off of all of their models. Is this because the company is using a photo from another brand’s web site?

2. There is often the word “she” or “her” in the company name.

3. A higher price will be crossed out under every single item, and the items will all be hugely discounted.

4. Identical pictures are used under multiple different company names. (For example, the same model wearing the same tunic is being sold on Amazon from several different sellers).

Any other things to look out for? I wonder how these companies remain in business.

Geobead

Reverse image search the photos if you’re in doubt. Most major websites have really distinct photography (netaporter, revolve, shopbop, ASOS, etc) so if you’re familiar with them you’ll be able to easily spot their models/photo style. Most sites have used the same photo style for years so even if it’s an older product you can easily tell. It’s copyright infringement for anyone to take their photos and use them on another site so it’s always a clear indicator of a scam or bait and switch operation. Never ever trust websites that use shitty Instagram photos as their product photos. You’ll see it all the time on those cheap Asian sites and half the time the photo is so low res it looks like they screenshot a thumbnail and blew it up.

And as always, if it’s too good to be true it probably is. Don’t let wishful thinking override common sense.

Snorlas

5. If you go to the contact page and there is no adress, its a scam.

bbbunny___

idk everything is probably misspelled. there’s no way to definitively “tell” as they will vary their photo usage and even company names all the time, but if you can buy 3 t-shirts for the price of a cheescake factory meal, then it’s probably a scam.

TelHillLady

I was plagued with ads from those overseas knockoff companies online when I visited fast fashions sites like H&M or Zara. I have not in a few months, so don’t see these ads you mention. Yes, it is painfully obvious what they are. I saw a lot of flower names with gal.

I took a screenshot of a cape dress made by Christian Dior this July that I loved and could not afford. I posted it on another fashion board. Looking at it made me happy and that was enough. The next day one of those crazy places had an ad with a model wearing the dress.

I thought a beautiful dress at a cheapie price! Impulse kicked off! No dress like that to be found when I clicked and searched. Got fooled.

They have a program which quickly goes through my Chrome cache and did this on purpose. I’m a techie who’s had extension experience programming websites with OO languages. Am positive these places have a tie-in with fast fashion that is financially rewarding to all.

So, agree on the reverse search. I’m not comfortable with this set-up. I don’t like them noseying around my laptop. I want to support legit retailers.

virtuoussimpleton

Clothing is made to sell at a certain price. If something is MSRP $100 but advertised at $20 right off the bat, then it was MADE TO SELL at $20. This is the case with outlet stores. It’s a psychological tactic to make consumers feel like they got a good deal and entice a purchase.

I look at material of the clothing. Is it made of wool, cotton… or cheaper, manufactured materials? Look at online reviews — sometimes Youtube will have “haul” and “try on” videos. I try not to buy cheaply made clothing because it’s too expensive to have to replace it.

District98

Ive had problems with shoes being fake on Amazon. Iirc there have been growing problems with knockoffs from third party sellers on Amazon in general. Now I go Zappos for shoes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: