The Forgotten Joy of Window Shopping

Home Forums Men’s Fashion The Forgotten Joy of Window Shopping

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DickMcRogers 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

The Forgotten Joy of Window Shopping

DickMcRogers

Funny, I planned a whole fashion tour for my friends and I in tokyo just to look at boutiques and flagship stores for the architecture and clothing that they have. One of my favorite things to do is looking at brands I admire irl but have no chance to where I live

Ghoticptox

Interesting article. I think Dieworkwear can be dense sometimes, but the interviews were a nice touch. I bought a belt on Black Friday last week. Prior to that I hadn’t physically bought anything from a clothing store in 3 years. And I don’t like going into stores because I feel like I’m being eyed up to determine how much I’ll spend and/or judged by sales staff. I used to work retail so I know that’s exactly what happens sometimes. With how robust the internet and secondhand market are for menswear a brick and mortar store is a hard sell. But I do miss seeing beautiful, well-styled clothes in person. After reading that article maybe I’ll check out some window displays this holiday season.

kng_sen

This might only be me, but luxury stores very much frown upon window shopping. At least in Chanel, the SAs have a rotating system where they take turns helping customers, so if you go there and don’t buy anything, you wasted their turn and could mean they lost the commission of an ultra-rich customer making their seasonal shopping.

And I’ve personally had bad experiences with luxury stores: The first and last time I went to buy something at Saks, I had a lady who was really nice and, on her own volition, went for some sweaters for me to try on, and then when I went to check out with cash, she said “Seriously? You don’t even have a credit card? I guess this is must not be your kind of store.”

Then there was the time I wanted to check a bag at Louis Vuitton, only for the SA to tell me they only let repeat customers touch them; Apparently so brutes like me don’t damage these delicate things and run without paying.

These experiences left me with the feeling that luxury stores are physical billboards for their ultra-rich regular customers than actual businesses interested in selling things to regular people.

PsychoWorld

I haven’t forgotten.

Love going to Seco dhand stores in large cities to shop for stuff and seeing if things fit.

danhakimi

Cyberhyper

What people seem to have forgotten is that window shopping is fun. I still do it regularly with friends but it feels like a bit of a lost art as most of the other people in the stores are just running in to grab something and leave. I love being able to see the fabrics and construction in person (not to mention the fit!). It’s a great way to connect with the brand emotionally. It helps that I’m near a major city so there’s a lot of luxury and independent shops to check out.

Another plus is that I feel less like a bag of trash than when I’m online shopping on my couch for hours.

IllustriousName

Maybe, if my small blue-collar city had stores that actually supplied a decent selection clothes for short, skinny men I would be more inclined to window shop, till then internet shopping it is.

maximum_dadpants

Couple of thoughts:

>A few years ago, *The New York Times* had a story suggesting that [online shopping has made us more apprehensive](https://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2012%2F01%2F12%2Ffashion%2Faggressive-salesclerks-push-shoppers-to-the-web.html&t=OGRjMWM2N2QxYWY4MDIzODkxNmVhMDk4MzNjOTM1NGIwZDBkYTZlOCxDd3psZExRag%3D%3D&b=t%3A_8QoHkpo1W5ZLzuUxDanCg&p=http%3A%2F%2Fdieworkwear.com%2Fpost%2F180632120544%2Fthe-forgotten-joy-of-window-shopping&m=0) to the helicopter sales tactics that used to be a cornerstone of good customer service. Web-savvy customers are irked by the question “can I help you with anything?” and they dislike the traditional swarm-and-greet approach of salespeople.

As an anxiety disorder sufferer and a veteran of customer service work hell (not a coincidence), I know about both sides of this; fancier shops are often ridiculously overstaffed, and going in at the wrong time of day means being outnumbered to a claustrophobic degree. I like to disappear into my own head while I shop, staring at things and circling back around to stuff, generally hanging around for too damn long. Someone watching me while I’m doing that makes me feel self conscious and takes me out of the moment.

Second, in a lot of retail environments, “can I help you?” is code for “we think you’re shoplifting, fuck off”. Especially if they follow you around the store (protip: nobody needs to do facing in the middle of the day, so if people start moving shampoos around next to you get out of dodge). A lot of modern customers have done time in the retail salt mines, so having sales assistants swarm them is really suspect.

>Store owners had loose requirements for what they think customers can do to be more courteous, but they were unanimous in what they think customers shouldn’t do: showrooming. Says Brian Davis: “The term is actually in the dictionary now – it’s the ‘practice of visiting a store in order to examine a product before buying it online at a lower price.’ If you do this at Best Buy or Costco to compare prices on a washing machine, more power to you. But don’t go to a small independent shop, try on a bunch of stuff, then buy online to save a few bucks. Support your neighborhood small shops. Every sale matters. Don’t showroom small shops!

I love small independent stores, but they’re well… small. They won’t carry a manufacturer’s full line, and they run out of sizes quick because they’ve got a basement (at best) rather than a warehouse. I’d rather get something in person than online, but a lot of the time what I want just isn’t there. I could see if they can order it in for me, but then it would be *super awkward* if it doesn’t fit.

warlockx77

I went to Manhattan during Thanksgiving just to do this. Boutique store window shopping has its own charm.

PsychoWorld

Does anyone know a nyc boutique with de bonne facture?

xiongchiamiov

My wife and I just scheduled a date where we’ll go into the city and leisurely shop for clothes (which she hates) and then go to a themed bar (which I’m not wild about). I enjoy the inversion from norms.

owerriboy

Window shopping is one of my favorite things to do on weekends. At this point, i have most of my wardrobe sorted out, so i just browse for unique stuff.

Oliverppls

My only form of window shopping actually stops at the window. I feel very uncomfortable walking inside without intention to buy.

Whitedenimthrowaway

Walking around soho usually does the opposite for me. Fashion always seems so silly when surrounded by hypebeasts desperately trying to be ahead of the curve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: