The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Presents “Camp: Notes on Fashion” for Its Spring 2019 Exhibition

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Presents “Camp: Notes on Fashion” for Its Spring 2019 Exhibition

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  purplepenned 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Nana

I saw the Met’s insta post about their upcoming exhibition, then read [the article](https://www.vogue.com/article/costume-institute-2019-exhibition-camp-notes-on-fashion).

I think camp aspects are what made me interested in the first place. I remember as a freshman in high school, my friends and I would go to our favorite thrift shop and put together the most outlandish outfits we could think of. We aspired to be the epitome of trashion glam, but still in line with the scene kid aesthetic (this was the early 00’s). #blunderyears

Anyway, the article says camp “…embraces elements that include ‘irony, humor, parody, pastiche, artifice, theatricality, excess, extravagance, nostalgia, and exaggeration.’”

Sounds fun to me. Anyone going to the exhibit? Any thoughts on camp?

[Here](https://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Sontag-NotesOnCamp-1964.html) is Susan Sontag’s essay that inspired the show.

purplepenned

The Met Ball next year better invite a bunch of drag performers and as many queer creatives as possible because if they’re snubbed the event is a sham.

bossyfosy

I am really hoping that the invitees truly embrace this theme in a tasteful way that actually tributes and respects camp icons (drag performers, lgbtq artists, ball performers, divas, etc) AND actually participate and have fun with it. I feel like so many invitees have been so boring with their selections (China Through the Looking Glass anyone?) or rote (like I get it, metallic crosses and crowns were a Catholic thing). I feel like camp as a theme could go in so many different directions and I really really hope it does.

aboveaveragek

I can already predict that each of the Karjenners and Hadids will all wear something see-through and boring.

macramelampshade

I’ll definitely be going to this, never miss a Costume Institute exhibit! I predict the red carpet is going to be a disaster though – its a theme with lots of room for misinterpretation for sure. Wonder if anyone will think “camping” and go full on Moonrise Kingdom / Scout troop with it lol

moshimochi

I AM HERE FOR IT.

mbaby

amazing. jeremy scott’s phone is ringing off the hook right now. i can’t wait to see this.

rocketscientology

I’m already here for what Janelle Monae and Rihanna are going to bring to the table. In a broad sense though I absolutely don’t trust the straights to do this theme justice.

fabricscissors

Rihanna will be one of the few to count on to bring something interesting. Everyone else will be a big yawn as usual, just trying to look sexy and missing the entire point.

Paula_Polestark

I don’t have exhibition/plane ticket money at this moment, but I love Caravaggio and I LOVE camp!

^^tfw ^^you ^^realize ^^your ^^Pinterest ^^is ^^full ^^of ^^camp ^^anyway

Ghoticptox

This is a brilliant theme. MOMA also featured camp on their [Instagram](https://www.instagram.com/p/Bozs8inAcrx/?taken-by=themuseumofmodernart) today. I absolutely love camp. It’s always been one of my favorite themes in literature. The nuance it requires to pull it off successfully is admirable.

There are so many directions they could go with this. Off the top of my head, some designers who’ve dabbled in camp are Rick Owens, Vivienne Westwood, Nicholas Kirkwood, Jean Paul Gaultier, Viktor and Rolf at times. All talented designers, all completely different executions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: