Today is the Best Time in Fashion

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips Today is the Best Time in Fashion

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dafteru_Punk 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

Today is the Best Time in Fashion

Dafteru_Punk

Fantastic article. It’s definitely the case that the cycle of fashion has become so short it’s just a sorta surging sea of ideas and looks.

I think the part about declinists is also poignant today. It might be true that “shit sucks, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something” – or however the quote goes. But I see it the going the other way a lot. People selling stories of decay and moral corruption in society but promising that they have the cure (especially in politics).

Also the parts on personal expression resonate with me, especially on expressing the self in more androgynous ways. I’ve spent a lot of time covering up a slim frame with fitted but straight cut workwear-esque stuff which I’ve been trying to escape to be more honest in how I dress. Because jesus I’m not a fucking lumberjack.

Anyway, I liked the article a lot. And I think it’s definitely an interesting time in fashion for all.

Uptons_BJs

My argument is, have you not noticed that nostalgia seems to rule every community? Not just fashion, but cars, television, movies, music, books, wrestling, etc, etc, etc. Everywhere people talk about how they enjoyed things better back in the good old days.

Ok, so to some degree people have been complaining about the same things generation by generation. I’m sure some old guy was sitting in the Globe Theater complaining “Pfft, Shakespeare? plays were better in my day”

Yet I still argue that there is so much more declinist sentiment out there today with the internet than in previous eras. Why? I blame it on the fact that people are analyzing things a lot closer nowadays.

Back in the day, if you’re watching TV, you’d enjoy a show, and maybe in the back of your mind you’d realize how maybe some things don’t really line up. Perhaps you’ll talk about it with a friend, but that’s mostly it. Today? just go on /r/television and someone would point out every little tiny plot hole.

Similarly, I’d almost never notice say, J. Crew button downs declining in quality, or the mediocre picked stitching on a Canali jacket, or the terrible quality of the buttons on a hugo boss dress shirt. These are all tiny details that one only realizes when we have access to the internet and this vast community of fellow detail driven enthusiasts.

And the thing is, these issues that people point out get stuck in the back of your mind and they never go away. Every time you see a piece of clothing at the mall, the endless nitpicks that people mention online will suddenly appear in your brain.

Stuff that you loved back in the day was often flawed too. Just that you didn’t have this huge group of people to discuss every little problem with.

Don’t believe me? Think about your favorite movies from your childhood, go online, and read every little critique of it. I don’t think you can see it in the same light again.

bonelesslollipop

I loved reading this. I’m not really an adventurous dresser myself, but I love seeing how other people dress. We all benefit from the diversity and blurring of the lines in modern fashion. You can categorize older Western fashion archetypes by decade, but I bet you’d have a tough time doing so from y2k onwards.

MFA_Nay

Really great article. Thank you for posting.

This has been added to the sidebar as the **Thread of the Whatever**.

Jiggerjuice

Yup, we now have access to EVERYTHING in the entire world. Back in the day the best you could do was go to a shopping mall. Pretty dank. I have things that I never would have even 10 years ago, thanks to the magic of the internet.

vertexwise

This was an excellent article. He doesn’t use the terms, but he’s talking about the tension between collectivistic and individualistic cultures. More collectivistic cultures have strong cultural norms, they’re more hierarchical and have many rules and expectations to be followed, but provide members with a clear sense of place, belonging, and community. The Declinists he’s writing about yearning for the past are yearning for the more collectivistic version of the western world’s past, but he mentions how this can feel stifling as well. The West has been becoming more and more individualistic, and the breakdown of things like dress codes and traditional norms to express social position are part of that. What he doesn’t mention is that given the choice, people from more collectivistic backgrounds tend to adopt more individualistic norms because we enjoy the freedom. However, people in individualistc cultures are much more likely to feel lost, disconnected, adrift, and like the things around them lack meaning. If a million trends come and go, but they’re just froth on the sea of consumerism the whole hobby of fashion loses its fun. The solution seems to be to yearn for an idealised collectivistic past that you don’t actually have to be a part of (become a declinist), or to join smaller subcultures that enforce more collectivistic rules, but that you can leave at any time you wish.

shangered

Wonderful article about fashion, but Samuel Huntington was a terrible, [shiteating](https://www.theguardian.com/books/2004/mar/15/highereducation.usa) [racist](http://www.digitalnpq.org/archive/2004_spring/fuentes.html) and Fareed Zakaria is a milquetoast [defender](https://fareedzakaria.com/columns/2018/3/8/trade-is-the-republican-partys-last-stand) of the 1%.

His article would have a lot more punch if he didn’t need to dress it up in language of civilizations and society – stick to what you know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: