What are your garment care hacks that aren’t in the side bar already?

Home Forums Women’s Fashion Tips What are your garment care hacks that aren’t in the side bar already?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lizzyburrr 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Nana

What am I doing wrong if my sweaters pill and I don’t put them in the dryer? If I wash delicate bras in the sink will they still get just as clean as in the washing machine? How often should I be treating/protecting leather/suede/nubock items? WHY WHY WHY does my black wool jacket attract every little bit of fuzz, but my friends doesn’t?! How much time am I really expected to spend on going over it with a lint roller?! What do I do about that one shirt that always smells in the pits for no reason?

etc.

Lizzyburrr

The pit stank is from sweat protein buildup not being completely washed out. Make sure you’re using a quality detergent with enzymes, like tide and then add oxi clean and borax too. If it’s still not completely coming out, spray the pitts with stain remover (I like the oxi clean brand). Wash in warm, not completely cold, water. It helps break everything up better than the cold water. They should be good as new in a wash or two. That’s how I always wash my shirts and my husband’s shirts that have that issue.

idontcook

My mom has been a seamstress since she was 16 years old, so I’ve picked up a few things from her. One thing is she often puts a damp, white, cotton fabric as a barrier between the clothing and the iron when she irons.

I think having it be damp and then ironing over it creates a steaming effect on the clothes instead of just placing direct heat of the iron on them. I usually do this for my blouses that have a delicate fabric like silk or any dress pants (you ever get that shiny look on them if you iron over the seams?). Having that barrier between the iron and the clothes prevents the fabric from burning or any other negative effect of direct heat. Also, if your clothing has a lot of wrinkles and you feel like you need to go over it multiple times with an iron to smooth it out, this method helps a lot.

It’s usually just from a bed sheet that we don’t use, cut into a size of a bath towel and then soaked and wringed out until it’s just damp. I lay a section of the clothing flat, then place the damp fabric on top, and then just iron over it. As the fabric dries out, just make sure to re-damp it.

PopTart_

I conditioned my leather purses and did the straps too and now I’m gently buffing out the strap conditioner because I don’t want it on my clothes :/

businessentre

How should I be storing my winter jackets to prevent them from looking for worn-through. I bought a jcrew wool jacket last year and it already looks so pilled. Is there any lotion I can put on it to tame all the stray fibers and pilling?

chickensfoot

Polish your shoes and take them to the cobbler. Putting rubber soles on them will greatly improve their longevity.

Air dry your clothes!

thisisthewell

>What am I doing wrong if my sweaters pill and I don’t put them in the dryer?

Nothing really, since friction is the culprit. Wearing purses or backpacks and even lounging around on the couch can cause pilling. Get a sweater shaver; they are awesome!

> If I wash delicate bras in the sink will they still get just as clean as in the washing machine?

Yes. Just rub the lace between your fingers, that’s the most friction you’ll need to remove dead skin cells etc. There’s nothing magical about a washing machine that makes garments *more* clean, it’s just a hell of a lot of agitation in most cases, which is overkill for lacy things.

>How often should I be treating/protecting leather/suede/nubuck items?

Usually after purchase and before wear and beginning and end of season (or if you wear year round, I would do every 6 months)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: