This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by skyedot94 5 days, 16 hours ago.
December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30724
I want to create a classic jewelry capsule. We all know the basics of clothing but what are the essential pieces of jewelry that you’ve invested in? No need to link exact pieces (unless you’d like) but more of a list of categories and a description! For example, “Kate Spade square stud earrings because they are my everyday go to”. Thanks ☺️December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30725
My mom bought me a Paloma Picasso olive branch heart bracelet that I never take off. It’s simple, but still intricate enough to be interesting. I’m not the biggest jewelry person, but I think I’d like an extra small Cartier Trinity ring because it rolls 😂December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30726
Ooooooh the thread I was born for!
My jewelry box overfloweth, but the pieces I find myself returning to over and over are:
1. A 68″ rope of round freshwater pearls in various sizes that can be tied in at least a gazillion ways
2. Strands of colorful jade or ruby beads that I layer with the pearl necklace to add color and make it more casual
3. Pendants that I layer in with the other necklaces to make a look that’s really extra personal – a favorite right now is a little build-your-own beach in a bottle that my family makes
4. Garnet earrings that my dad cut for my graduation
5. A little cheapo tennis bracelet that I picked up at a trade show somewhere – inexpensive, but sparkly and beautiful!
I’m not much of a minimalist. I love love love layering because I think it makes things a lot more expressive than they could be on their own. I also really enjoy jewelry with a story.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30727
Pearl studs are my ultimate staple. I wear them every day. Everything else I tend to switch up depending on my outfit.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30728
For the past 8 weeks I’ve been wearing the following 24/7:
– Small gold diamond studs (they were my mother’s)
– [Gold dainty necklace](https://imgur.com/K5SsmSG) (souvenir from Japan)
– [Gold leaf and labradorite ring](https://imgur.com/MFktJMN) (another souvenir from Japan and also my favourite ring ever)
– Gold diamond eternity ring ([looks like this one](https://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/236602163?$rsp-pdp-main-1440$)) (also my mother’s)
– [Gold beaded ring](https://mejuri.com/shop/products/beaded-stackable-ring-2)
I’ll almost certainly continue to wear the above for the unforeseen future.
I’ve swung away from costume jewellery to solid gold because it’s more convenient and durable for me. I hate taking jewellery off every time I have to shower, wash my hands and apply lotion, and it’s nice to know wearing my jewellery 24/7 isn’t going to tarnish. I love the variety and affordability of gold-plated and gold-filled jewellery, but every piece has always tarnished to the point I no longer wear the pieces even after taking care of it.
Ideally, I would like a solid gold bangle and to replace my mum’s eternity ring with a different ring ([probs this one](https://mejuri.com/shop/products/eyelet-ring) from Mejuri) only because my mum’s ring is quite blingy for my taste. But it’s also sentimental, so I’m in no real rush to replace it soon. I’d also like a pair of small thick gold hoops, but again no rush.
I also used to wear a beautiful jade and diamond ring, but the stone popped out and I’ve yet to fix it. I’m Asian and I *love* green jade for cultural reasons. It’s such a vibrant stone though and I prefer a neutral colour palette, so I don’t often wear it, but I would love to get a jade bangle again (smashed mine when I was 18).December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30729
Here’s a [photo of my current ear set up](https://m.imgur.com/r/piercing/CmYWOLk).
The daith is a 14k yellow gold BVLA Eden Pear seam ring, the top helix is a BVLA marquise fan set in yellow gold, middle helix is a BVLA yellow gold ball, and bottom helix is a Neometal titanium prong set gem anodised to a yellow gold colour.
The first lobe piercing is cheaper 9k gold hoops and the second lobes are tiny diamonds. I have lobes done on both ears.
I’m also getting paired nostrils done tomorrow with [BVLA tri-bead clusters](https://goo.gl/images/XhFDoz).
The only other jewellery I wear all the time is two rings (one on each middle finger). Both are yellow gold, one has a ruby and two tiny diamonds while the other has 3 natural black sapphires.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30730
A pair of pearl earrings, 0.5 cm in diameter, no brand name, purchased at Nordstrom.
Tiny diamond studs, 0.25 ct, from Cartier.
Thin gold chain, family heirloom.
I never take the chain off, it has a lot of sentimental value, and it’s delicate-looking enough to go with most of my wardrobe.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30731
My partner made me a ring out of thread. It’s really durable so I can wear it rock climbing or kick boxing and if I lose it, another can be made.
As for store-bought stuff? I love to find cute ‘unique’ earrings on Etsy or small business stores online. I think I like digging and looking for them more than I actually do wearing them. It’s like finding buried treasure. There’s a jewelry store called [SoftBoilEgg](https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoftBoilEgg?ref=search_shop_redirect) on Etsy that has this jewelry that moves. It’s great for my hands when I’m bored and they look stunning. Very simple.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30732
Pictures below are approximations/from the internet. I have one of these on my person at all times:
– long silver [bar necklace](https://i.etsystatic.com/7227078/r/il/72830d/1096004159/il_570xN.1096004159_tvcy.jpg); got this at Reitmans two years ago and while it’s gotten very brassy, it’s still got enough shine to stay a staple.
– short gold [zodiac coin necklace](https://i.etsystatic.com/16808578/r/il/e56802/1477152657/il_570xN.1477152657_oei7.jpg); was one of the last gifts my great-aunt gave me before she passed. It wasn’t to my taste at the time, but now I can’t stop wearing it.
– locally-made [statement earrings](https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0244/1449/products/il_570xN.1559585924_qkjy_1024x1024.jpg); I LOVE THESE.
– hammered silver [ear climbers](https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61kqTPjeJYL._SY500_.jpg)
– black [tasselled earrings](https://www.hm.com/is/product/02565?article=02565-A); these are more ‘understated’ in my dark hair but give me fancy vibes.
– black [hoop earrings](https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZlR3VqpqL._UX395_.jpg)
– a bunch of [stud earrings](https://www.superette.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/705×906/a0d06f53f8a15ae1c49016c9b3f7497d/M/E/MEAHEXSTU.jpg) in black and silver
– a bunch of [delicate silver rings](https://www.catbirdnyc.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/c/l/classichammerss.jpg) I can mix and stack.
I’m slowly learning how to wear gold again as my style has softened over time…December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30733
Opal studs. I have a toddler that likes to yank or demand any dangly jewelry I wear. Studs are about all I can wear that he doesn’t care about. Even a watch is, “I want the clock!!!!”December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30734
I like historical jewelry or very unusual jewelry and I make a lot of jewelry myself. Here are some of my favorites:
* [Rose cut stone rings](https://i.imgur.com/Uk1Rk9X.png)
* [My husband’s tintype miniature portrait](https://i.imgur.com/mzjP2Sm.jpg)
* [Victorian sentimental hair locket](https://i.imgur.com/8YPV3h7.png) (contrary to popular belief not all of them are for mourning).
* [Anne Boleyn necklace in freshwater pearls and Scarlet Letter necklace](https://i.imgur.com/ktReaHa.png).
* [Lover’s eye pin/pendant](https://i.imgur.com/LtMAyhm.png)
* [Dragonfly in Amber ring](https://i.imgur.com/tuj8a9k.png)December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30735
I’m rubbish at jewellery, but I wear earrings because I don’t want the holes to close. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of simple [gold bar stud earrings from Etsy](https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/175359413/small-gold-bar-earrings-9k-gold-earrings) and I wear them pretty much every single day. I plan on ordering a pair of silver triangle ones next because the coating on my old ones from Topshop is starting to come off.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30736
I have a few go-to items:
I always wear my wedding set which is rose gold and vintage
On my right hand, I wear a thick rose gold band that was my godmother’s mother’s wedding band, and was an heirloom in her family bought in the 1880s
I also have a rose gold and diamond Beauty and the Beast rose-shaped ring that I wear on my right ring finger for dressier occasions
In terms of necklaces, when I wear one, I either wear a rose gold and diamond infinity symbol pendant on an 18″ chain or a white gold and diamond cross on an 18″ chain that was my mother-in-law’s
For earrings, which I don’t wear often, I usually do small rose gold hoops or more novelty earring from etsy
Bracelets are my favorite! I have a collection of semi-precious gemstone beaded bracelets, malas, vintage bangle and beaded bracelets, charm bracelets, and some thin rose gold bracelets that I vary and stack depending on the outfit. I’m usually in at least two or three regardless of outfit.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30737
I bought a Helen Ficalora initial charm necklace a full ten years ago because, honestly, Tina Fey wore one on 30 Rock and I thought it was cute. I don’t wear earrings, my taste in rings is pretty trendy (I have a couple of Snash nameplate rings that say “whiskey” and “California love” that I wear a lot because I’m very basic), and I go through phases with bracelets, but this initial necklace has been my go-to pretty much forever.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30738
For earrings, I wear these [Mejuri large hoops](https://mejuri.com/shop/products/large-hoops) everyday. Their idea of ‘large’ seems somewhat subjective – they’re really not that big, which makes them a good size for everyday earrings. They’re solid gold too which makes them really durable and effortless to take care of. I pair them with a tiny diamond earring in my second piercing, and it’s a dainty combo that works with any outfit.
For sentimental reasons I’ve also worn this [mouse ring](https://www.luulla.com/product/387823/cute-mouse-wrap-ring-in-2-colors) everyday for around 3 years now and I still get compliments on it regularly.
This Wolf Circus [fleur necklace](https://www.wolfcircus.com/collections/necklaces/products/fleur-necklace-in-gold) is also a daily go-to for me. It’s very delicate-looking, almost like they were made from real pressed flowers, and just adds a touch of something special to my outfits.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30739
My [Pyrrha pendant](https://pyrrha.com/products/embrace-change?variant=1096117133) is the staple I wear the most. I have it on a long chain so it comes down to just over my bust. The meaning of the Talisman is really significant for me so it’s both a favourite aesthetic piece and personally important. Great length for layering too!
I wear a lot of different crystal/stone studs for earrings. My favourite are some jet earrings with a silver “lace” trim from Whitby, UK, where mining for jet for mourning jewelry was a huge industry. They read as a bit Victorian and that’s kind of my M.O.
I have a couple of older pieces from [Army of Rokosz](https://www.instagram.com/armyofrokosz/?hl=en) such as a dainty moon phases necklace that falls fairly high that works as a layering piece as well.
[These labradorite beauties](https://leahalexandra.com/products/sunny-labradorite-silver-earjackets) are my go-to “fancy” earrings. I got them secondhand on a buy and sell group, yessssss. They can also be worn with just the stud, which is nice!
Daily wear is my [Daniel Wellington watch](https://www.danielwellington.com/ca/dw-watch-men-classic-sheffield-silver-40mm) . I find this piece really classic, not too dainty, and it’s just nice to wear a watch.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30740
[RSPB wildlife pins](https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering-fundraising/fundraise/charity-pin-badges-to-collect/). I have a growing collection of them to wear at my collar or lapel; they’re distinctive, I can choose them to fit any mood or occasion, and they’re beautiful.
I have red studs that I wear in one ear for personal reasons; nothing fancy, just glass.
As for anything else, I approve of jewellery in principle, but in practice it doesn’t work well for me.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30741
I think it really depends on your style, and to an extent your colouring. For me, any fine jewellery has to be timeless. My list:
* Tahitian peacock drop pearl pendant on a slim white gold chain. Dresses down or up, and suits my (ginger) colouring perfectly.
* white pearl stud earrings. These are one of those cultural motifs in the western world. I find it so interesting how they say so much. With a cardi, almost unbearably preppy, but they can tone down louder pieces or add sophistication to an otherwise very simple outfit. I love them for travel.
* diamond stud earrings. Mine are modest (0.25ct each), and so look conservative, feminine, and sophisticated without tapping into the kind of WASPy vibe white pearls have.
* right-hand-ring. I have three, all very sentimental (handed down from both grandmothers and mother). I don’t wear one all that often, but I love the extra bit of detail on my hands.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30742
I love jewelry, but I’m not really into anything dainty, feminine, or sparkly. Bold minimalism, I guess? Is that a thing?
* [Jules Smith cutout cuff](https://julessmithdesigns.com/products/euclid-cuff) – right now, when I need to accessorize, this is the first thing I reach for. Bold without being over-the-top, and goes with almost everything I own.
* [Jules Smith open circle necklace](https://julessmithdesigns.com/collections/sale/products/open-circle-necklace) – I am not a person who gets compliments from strangers, but when I wear this, I get compliments from strangers on it about 50% of the time.
* [Nisolo diamond hoop earrings](https://nisolo.com/collections/womens-jewelry/products/soft-diamond-hoop-earrings) – whenever I try a bunch of accessories and none of them work, this is always the one that makes everything come together. The muted burnished tone of the metal and unique shape make them more interesting to me than classic hoops.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30743
[deleted]December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30744
[I wear this necklace every day](https://imgur.com/NxtVAum): brass chain, two geometric multicolored stones (not sure what kind of rock they are). I like that the stones are not identical.
Goes decently with everything, including my scrubs!December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30745
I’m boring as hell so for me it’s:
– a simple chain link watch
– a silver necklace with two rings on it (I switch it up with another silver necklace if it’s the wrong length for an outfit)
– my white gold engagement ring / wedding ringDecember 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30746
I’m light skinned with neutral undertones but I do tend to wear more silver jewellery. My jewellery aesthetic is very minimal and most in my collection were gifts.
* Sterling silver round 4mm studs. I wear them the majority of the time. They’re functional and won’t compete with my dyed and highlighted hair. If not ball studs, I’ll wear silver 5mm knot studs just to change things up a bit.
* 6mm emerald studs gifted to me upon my 18th birthday. They’re nice for when I want a flash of colour.
* Grandma’s pearls and pearl earrings. Inherited from my paternal side, they’re kept for purely sentimental reasons and the earrings are only worn when I have to attend a funeral, particularly of an older person because growing up, my grandmother and her friends from the same generation insisted that was what you had to do.
* The [Pandora Timeless Elegance Gift Set](https://au.pandora.net/en/sale—timeless-elegance-gift-set/B800192.html) in silver and cubic zirconia is a little dressier but not overly large or a show stealer. I wore this set as Maid of Honour recently for a [very understated look](https://imgur.com/a/v9qNC2r) next to my bff, the bride who wore gifted teardrop diamond earrings and a similar necklace.
* The [Tiffany Bead Bracelet](https://www.tiffany.com.au/jewelry/bracelets/return-to-tiffany-bead-bracelet-GRP03577/return-to-tiffany-bead-bracelet-27630146?trackpdp=search&fromgrid=1&fromcid=-1&origin=search&trackgridpos=1&prolookupsearchadd=&prolookupsearchwn=&prolookupsearchradio=&prolookupsearchcheck=) is another great understated piece of jewellery that can go with a casual look or can be paired with a bigger event.
* I also wear a small wristwatch in silver similar in design to [this one](https://www.prouds.com.au/product/elite-ladies-silver-tone-watch?p=5088486) but with a white quartz face and just plain silver. I prefer a smaller faced watch because I have small wrists. It’s very functional because you can’t whip out your phone to check the time mid meeting but you can subtly check your wrist.December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30747
My actual wedding ring is silver, but I asked my husband for a simple gold wedding band as well. Having both makes matching jewelry so much easier!December 5, 2018 at 3:02 pm #30748
I’ve kinda gotten sick of jewelry that ‘wears out’ the minute I wash my hands or wear it for a week straight so I’ve kept to simple, more pricy (only talking like $40-60 here) items and just buying fewer things. I got a nice [italian horn gold chain/pendant from Asos](https://images.prod.meredith.com/product/975cb55a0739715d17c53eb5e2e9befa/1515926668023/l/orelia-gold-plated-tusk-layering-pendant-necklace-gold) on sale for $40 (marked down from 75ish I think) and I’ve worn it through travel, pools, showers, etc and it’s still shining beautifully. The brand is called Orelia.
IMO something you can wake up in everyday is worth it because you stop thinking about jewelry.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.