What dress code is your work, and how do you inject your own style into your office attire?

Home Forums Men’s Fashion Tips What dress code is your work, and how do you inject your own style into your office attire?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  professorzhang 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Keymaster

I’m starting at an internship which is super casual (jeans/chinos)/ Lots of the guys seem to get away with wearing tshirts and polos, but I still like to wear nice jeans and a nicer (but not dress) shirt.

How do you find you can dress at work to reflect your own style?

professorzhang

I think it depends on what kind of message you want to send to your coworkers. I’m guessing for an internship, you’ll want your attire to say “I care,” “I’m a competent person,” “I fit in here,” etc.

My work dress code is a collared shirt, closed-toe shoes, no gym clothes. Most people wear polos, jeans, sneakers and management wears somewhere in between barely business, super casual (loafers, jeans, polo) and well-fitted business casual attire.

I wear polos and OCBD’s, well fitted Levi’s or chinos and a range of sneakers, loafers, chukkas or boots. I try to slightly overdress, but not to the point of not fitting into the work place. Well-fitted versions of what the average person wears works well for me and probably what I would suggest for you.

EntrepreneurHughes

I wear a suit or separates 99/100 days. I like wearing pocket squares (almost no one does), loafers, and tying a tight four-in-hand instead of some windsor monstrosity

bestmaokaina

I started by going every day with ocbds, chinos and derby shoes but after sometime i just stopped caring and starting wearing sneakers, boots, flannels, skinny jeans, sweaters, t shirts.

However, when there were important meetings and conferences I wore either a wool blazer and trousers or a suit depending on the formality of occasion.

mountain_hot_spring

My desk job is business casual and our office handbook says men need to wear a collard shirt and no jeans. Half the guys are super sloppy, they wear underarmor golf polos and baggy khakis. So if I put in a little effort – well-fitted chinos, a button up, maybe add a crew-neck sweater – I’m suddenly one of the best-dressed guys here. I’d like to wear a blazer now and then but I’m afraid of overdoing it and looking out of place.

brown_burrito

Usually suit or suit separates 70% of the time. Depending on the client and the occasion, ties.

Business casual the other 30% of the time. I try and wear dressy tailored jeans on some Fridays if possible.

I was told by an old money old school French banker the other day that I’m not as conservative by the standards of senior European bank execs.

I kinda like that. Wearing just navy and gray suits is just so boring.

So I occasionally wear more adventurous outfits. Here are a few examples:

* Slightly less conservative suits like a [royal blue suit](https://i.imgur.com/E8FkbEX.jpg)

* [Larger watches with my flashy suits](https://i.imgur.com/MbFzBR8.jpg)

* [Double breasted suits](https://i.imgur.com/R1FgGrc.jpg) and [jackets](https://i.imgur.com/XleYxa9.jpg)

* [Scarves](https://i.imgur.com/jIRctvE.jpg) and pocket squares and [bold cufflinks](https://i.imgur.com/lJ5orZQ.jpg) with my outfits

* Non conservative shoes like [RM Williams boots](https://i.imgur.com/QmQYJoU.jpg) or hell even [green leather shoes](https://i.imgur.com/K2NgPZD.jpg)

* [Statement pants](https://i.imgur.com/SE8ytLx.jpg) that [I absolutely love](https://i.imgur.com/2No1Si2.jpg) and of course along with [statement and fun socks](https://i.imgur.com/QjrmVEH.jpg)

* Non traditional fabric ties, [including knit ties](https://i.imgur.com/Iw49AFY.jpg)

Bad_Fut

Attorney in a southeast US metro.

I haven’t been working here too long and I may continue to add more and more personal style, but so far I really enjoy wearing quality boots instead of dress shoes. And boots that moreover are pretty immediately recognizable as boots. I have a pair of JCrew Kenton pacers and a lugged-sole pair of Wolverine 1ks with a cap-toe (honestly no idea what their deal was, they popped up on Nordstrom rack and fit exactly what I was looking for—love ‘em to death). If I can convince myself to spend the dough, I’ll probably add more to really build a rotation.

I tend to keep it pretty grounded in my suits, dress shirts, and pocket squares, but I like having the boots on. It’s kind of corny but it feels right—if trial is just combat but with words instead of guns…I’d rather go into combat with some boots on, y’know?

tectonic9

For many people, business casual means a person who hates shirts, polos, and chinos gets crappy versions of those items and dutifully wears them for work, and only for work. That sucks. It looks bad, and minimal compliance is a slavish posture. You *could* just do that formula, executed a little more purposefully – but as for me, I’m bored by the chinos and shirt/polo look.

I’ve got a bunch of clothes that are mid-formality between casual and suited. But I’m in a field that is both creative and technology-oriented, and these days our official dress codes are almost entirely defunct. Cool. I like the idea of reducing my wardrobe to stuff that can overlap the two contexts. But I’m still aware that the way people dress contributes to the way they are viewed. In my field, the sartorial power moves differ by department, but there are some where bold, stylish outfits seem to convey more clout than safer, more formal outfits. I like that.

So I’ve been going more casual with flannel and chambray shirts, or t-shirts and sweaters, but I’ve also been throwing in sport coats more often. As I cycle newer things into the wardrobe, I’m often looking for things that are dramatic, or textured and rugged, or athletic-fitting. I wear wingtips, work boots, combat boots, or minimalist sneakers. I guess the goal is to have a coherent, hi-lo mix of casual and dressy so that I avoid a dreaded bizcas middle ground, look more put together than most of my coworkers, but also throw in enough grunge, punk, goth, or rugged americana that it looks like a style statement rather than a dress code, and feels comfortable if I’m hitting up a dive bar after work or something.

ManifestoMagazine

My office is all suits but my department is more relaxed. Nice shirt, nice pants, nice shoes, polos on hot days. I’ve created a uniform of sorts with 3 pairs of pants and about 6 shirts. It’s nice not having to think too hard about what to wear but it has gotten boring.

maverickmonk

Work jeans and athletic polos is the standard here.

I just wear nice jeans and work on my fades, super casual buttonups (flannel and chambray and jaspe), and nice boots

Tyrant_Flycatcher

Super casual.

I work in R&D. There’s a team that actually has a ‘wear your pajamas to work’ day (no thank you). Some times I’ve gotten surprised reactions or “wow, you’re dressing fancy today” by just wearing an ocbd.

I just dress however I like, but usually it’s pretty casual. T-shirt, jacket, sneakers or boots. I try to look put together, but not formal.

stickerless_cubes

Casual Friday? more like **FLEX** friday

really though I work in a medical clinic, so it’s business casual M-R. Since I’m interacting with patients/being seen in a professional setting, I generally keep it really safe. but Fridays we don’t have any patients in clinic… so we all generally end up dressing casually, which for me is pretty stereotypical SLP. you just have to gauge the environment and know when/where to inject your own style. obviously this is way different depending on the field you’re in and what your job entails.

HeatTransferer

Business casual every damn day. Lots of guys here (I’m an aerospace engineer in the southeast) wear polos, jeans, tennis shoes, tee shirts, etc.. I wear chinos with casual button downs with some cap toes. Occasionally I will wear a polo. If I were you, I’d just look nice and never be the most underdressed

Alakazam

Startup, so pretty casual. Today was boots, khakis, flannel, and a denim jacket

cdfchopper

I have an odd job in politics.

Two days a week in “parliament” is relatively staid suiting. I wear better fitting stuff than most, normally a pocket square and good shoes. I like simple elegance in tailoring and have developed a bit of a uniform for myself.

Two other days are often business casual that sometimes leans very casual. I wear chinos, shirts, jumpers, derbies, the occasional tweed blazer. My footwear is often the statement here as I like Dr Marten 1460s and country brogues.

When I’m out with the public, then I’m much more likely to “dress down”. I work in a poor bit of the country, and being dressed too nicely can be viewed with suspicion (especially tailoring). I’m much more likely to wear jeans and polos, or a t-shirt etc when I’m doing these things.

Variety is the spice of life.

Justadude-

Bartending. All black with non slip shoes and a button down. Fashion dies at the door.

TwelveSpongeCakes

Most days I’m wearing a sweatshirt , denim or flannel shirt. There isn’t an office dress code, as long as you look presentable I think it’s ok. We also have a no shoes policy in the building which makes everything even more casual, in the summer a lot of people go barefoot. Sometimes I’ll wear an OCBD, but it makes me feel a little over dressed.

Theodorokanos

I work in a government office. Most of my coworkers wear either polos or collared shirts, chinos or some kind of dress pants, and some kind of basic brown or black shoe. The city manager often wears boots and Carhartt-style working pants because he’s in and out and on his feet most of the day. On days where we have public meetings those who attend will throw on a navy blazer or something to dress it up a bit.

I personally differentiate in a few ways:

(1) I layer more, so in the summer I might have a cardigan or light jacket for the AC in the office, or I might wear an unlined blazer over my shirt. Sometimes it is just too damn hot to layer though. I often go sans tie so I’m not so overdressed by comparison, though for big public meetings I’ll sometimes wear a full suit and tie. In the winter I’ll have more pieces to my outfit than shirt + jacket, as most of my coworkers will just wear a fleece jacket or something like that. I’ll wear some kind of combination depending on the weather and temperature, which could include anything from a light pullover to a peacoat.

(2) I wear boots pretty much year round. Chelseas, cap-toe boots, desert boots, chukkas, etc. I like boots.

(3) I’ll wear bowties occasionally, but I try not to do so in a garish way. They’re loud anyway, so I tend to do something more understated like solids or navy with pindots.

Praelior0

Just started at a pharma company. Smart casual dress code. What others wear varies from sloppy jeans, old t-shirts and trainers in the labs to business suits for the higher-ups.

I work in a lab-supporting role, and also just getting into trying to dress well so I bought myself a few chinos and OCBDs and some tan brown derbies, and I’m easily one of only two people dressed even vaguely ‘smart’ on my team. I think I’m going to move more towards ‘dressy’ jeans and flannels, since the bar is pretty low in the area I work in and I want to fit in and wear stuff I tend to prefer outside work, but also give an impression of some professionalism as well.

I’m going to break out the comfy hoodies and trainers when I start on 12hour night shifts in the new year though. Ain’t nobody need to dress up for that shit. I’ll keep the sweaters and derbies for the day shifts.

[deleted]

[deleted]

wisstig96

For my internship I was told business casual so I mostly wore either a dress shirt, patterned button down, or OCBD with slacks or chinos, mostly chinos because it was summer, and brown cap toe oxfords. The guidebook said no jeans and pretty often people wore jeans anyway. Also, when it got really hot I would wear a polo. Jeans are definitely becoming more and businesses are getting looser on the definition of business casual which is pretty nice.

lukieinthesky82

My office is business casual. I wear pretty conservative shapes but add unusual colors. Todaywad black chinos, black sweater vest, charcoal grey spread collar shirt, and purple suede shoes.

DBPR32

I have a uniform at my job (blue shirt), and bottoms can be anything except denim & cargos. It can be hard to inject your own style.
    An interesting pair of shoes is probably the best way to do so. It kind of sucks but it sure makes getting ready a breeze.

Rain_Dayz

My work requires formal wear (button down shirt, tie, dress pants). I keep the shirt and pants pretty straight forward. But, socks and ties are where I add flair. My favorite tie has pineapples on it.

Oh and sometimes I wear funky boxers, but no one really sees those.

faue

My dress code is pretty cut-and-dry: navy scrubs and white tennis shoes, so not much room for stylistic choices; and even if there were, I spend most of my time interacting with severely visually impaired patients who often can barely see me as a silhouette, let alone being able to distinguish particular articles of clothing.

Wearing a uniform to work is actually somewhat freeing, since it means I can build the rest of my wardrobe how I like rather than being constrained by professional expectations.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celebrity Style: